Dimension 5150 Ram upgrade

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dimension 5150 Ram upgrade

• I have a Dimension 5150 With 1gb ram in 2 512mb DDR2 sticks.

I want to upgrade to 4Gb Ram in 2 2Gb ram sticks will this computer handle it?

I am asking because i have bought 2 2Gb PNY tech P6400 when i intalled them my pc just beaped at me and wouldnt boot.

Is it cus i'm not using dell ram or will me comp just not handle it.

• Your computer can handle a total of 4GB, 1GB in each of the 4 slots.  You can put a max of 2GB in a slot if you want but that may not work.  However, I don't believe your computer can take the 6400 speed.  The max is 5300.  You don't need to use Dell ram.  Most people will use Crucial for their Dell PC's since it is guaranteed to work. 

Here is the link for your computer:  http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%205150

Message Edited by JMICHAEL on 09-27-2008 12:37 PM
    • Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.66 GHZ, 320GB SATA HD, Nvidia 6200, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Dell Optiplex GX280, P4 3.2 GHZ, 80GB SATA HD, Windows XP 32-bit
    • Dell Inspiron 530, Q6600 Quad, 500GB HD, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Custom Build, Q6600 Quad, (2) 500GB SATA HDs, 4GB Ram, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC, Corsair 650TX PSU, DVD RW, DVD Blu-ray, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

• Hello,

Your 5150 will accept upto 4GB of the 'correct' memory.

It requires DDR2 memory, and a max card size of 1GB each. You do not need to buy Dell memory but the 2GB cards you bought will not work. Many here suggest Crucial memory for our Dell systems. Here are the SPECS for youe 5150 system. If you wish to learn more about memory and Dell systems you can visit my web site.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• There are 4 slots in my PC but i think 2 are DDR1 as only 2 have white lever tabs and 2 have lever black tabs? Am i right in thinking is. I have to upgrade my mother board so i can either run 2Gb sticks or so i have more ports. And how would i go about this.

The ram i have is 2Gb so it wont work then, but it is back words compatable so it'll run at the right speed if it was 1Gb

Regards

Andy

• also when i look at upgrades for my 5150 on the upgrades section dell would sell me and so would crucial 2Gb Ram sticks. so Iam i just using incompatable ram?

• sorry to keep adding to this post, but on further reading crucial says my PC will take up to 8Gb of ram 2gb in each slot.
  • Hello again,

The Crucial site is correct. But if you are using Windows XP or Vista 32 bit you can't use more than 4GB. And yes, it seems that the memory you bought is not compatible with your system.

I'm sorry so just using the Dell specs to answer your question. I should have looked at the Crucial site also.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• The PNY memory you have is most likely not compatible.  The most memory you can use in a 32-Bit system like yours is 4GB.  If you want 4GB, then you really need to get 4 -1GB sticks to take advantage of the performance benefit of dual channel memory.  DDR2 is what your computer takes and should be in all slots.  You just need to have matching pairs of ram in each of the different colored slots.  Your manual says a max of 1GB per slot so I would go by this so things work instead of trying to put a 2GB stick in one slot.
    • Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.66 GHZ, 320GB SATA HD, Nvidia 6200, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Dell Optiplex GX280, P4 3.2 GHZ, 80GB SATA HD, Windows XP 32-bit
    • Dell Inspiron 530, Q6600 Quad, 500GB HD, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Custom Build, Q6600 Quad, (2) 500GB SATA HDs, 4GB Ram, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC, Corsair 650TX PSU, DVD RW, DVD Blu-ray, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

• Is it possible to run 1gb in both black tab slots and 512mb in both white tab slots...as long as they are both matching pairs?

I read that it is possible for this machine to run DDR 400....is this the case or was it false ???

Thanks,

Vamp