Upgrade ram module on Dell inspiron 1501

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Upgrade ram module on Dell inspiron 1501

• Hello,

I want to ask can i put 2 GB in to my free ram slot?

I have Dell inspiron 1501 with service tag XXXXX, i have 1 GB on my first slot.

Can i be with 3 GB system memory or 2 GB is the maximum?

thank you!

Message Edited by anonimov on 09-18-2008 06:39 AM
  • First of all delete your service tag from the post as it is violating the dell community forums & can be used to track your system and you.

Secondly of all you can go for a 2Gb and a 1Gb module in the 1501. I have tried 2 2Gb modules in a 1501 and have got 2615Mb of RAM used (4Gb installed). Having a 2Gb and 1Gb module gave the same quantity, (Vista detects 4Gb installed but only uses 2615Mb approx). The same RAM was installed in my 6400 and it read 3315Mb of RAM.

So a 2Gb and a 1Gb module will give you about 2.6Gb of memory for the OS and I think some memory is used by the graphics 0.25Gb. So will utilise about 2.7 - 2.8Gb out of the 3Gb installed.

Others report that they have 4Gb in thier 1501 and are using it all but I am not quite sure about that as Vista states theres 4Gb installed but does not use it all. Not too sure if it is a motherboard or an OS limit, although if it was the OS limit I would expect it to use at least the same amount as my 6400; 3315Mb.

The 1501 does not need matching memory modules.

If in the UK (and possibily other countries):

http://www.offtek.co.uk/ddr2.php?subcat=70&subcat1=44&subgroup=1&memtype=DDR2-PC5300 

If not will need to find it on crucial www.crucial.com

Under the second heading: 200 Pin DDR2 SoDimm

Is compatible RAM for the system, I doubt a 4Gb module will work in the system and definately not worth the price.

Message Edited by natakuc4 on 09-18-2008 12:28 PM

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• The reason why 4 GB of memory works on some Dell 1501's is because they have 64 bit system where as the others that will only accept 3GB of memory is because they are 32 bit systems. I hope this helps.

• Hello sir,

I plan to upgrade my laptop too, dell inspiron 1501, with 1 gb RAM, But WIN XP in it....

So as you were saying 1+2=2.6Gb applies ti Win XP too?

and how much will the 2 gb ram cost me in canada dell?

looking forward for your reply

Lennon

Toronto

• Hello All.

I have just installed a 2G stick on a Dell 1501 running XP 32-bit service pack 3. It reads and uses the memory just fine. I will be putting in a second 2G stick now that I know it works. I know with 2 x 2G I wont get exactly 4G, but with 2.512G installed I am getting 2.4 usable.

The Bios is the original, 1.7.0.

For those of you who insist it won't work because of Dell's posted specs.....SHUT UP! If you don't know what you are talking about or have no first hand experience with the issue then stop ruining others search for reliable info.

• @BDFUNC:

Old post, I know. But how did you get on with installing 2x2Gb.

How much is usable. Was it worth it?

I'm also running Windows XP, SP3 thinking of upgrading, not sure if I should get 2x1Gb or 2x2Gb?

At the moment it is showing 896mb of RAM. I assume that is 2x512mb?

• Exactly  AND with the 32 bit systems the RAM used by the video card gets subtracted from the 3GB Ceiling of poor 32 bit systems ;

that is why he sees 2612MB of ram or whatever the number was .....

I thought this was crystal clear .... anyone knows a tiny bit about computers went through this in 2004/2005 time frame

I thought every body knew it no a days in 2012 ..

guess not.

• a 4 GB MODULE WILL not not  not WORK   YOU MUST USE 2 X 2gb MODULES, ,BUY TWO OF THE 2gb MODULES AND MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL A 64 BIT os  AND YOU WILL BE GOOD TO GO.