Upgrading CPU fan in a Inspiron 530 - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Upgrading CPU fan in a Inspiron 530

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Upgrading CPU fan in a Inspiron 530

• Hi everyone. I have just brought an Inspiron 530 but I'm finding the CPU fan in the tower a tad noisy. Are there any options for a new one being put in?

I have noticed that the heatsink to which the fan is attached to the mainboard is fixed by screws. Is this a problem when changing to a new one?

Many Thanks :)

Message Edited by ValiantSaint on 09-29-2008 02:22 AM
  • you may want to check and make sure the screws are tight and nothing is in the way of any fans.

When I first recieved my machine I had a screw rolling around inside the case.

the stock inspiron as a whole is a pretty quiet machine.

Since you are under warranty you should probably contact dell, tell them your cpu fan is not working and they will send you a new one.

Inspiron 530

Core2Duo 8500 3.16GHZ

4GB@667, 320GB HD/2TB Canvio Personal Cloud

Geforce GTX 650 1GB

Zalman 9500AT Cooler

Antec Neopower 550

Vista Home Premium 32bit

• Yes you can chaince the CPUcooler.Mars1100 knows all about it.He can tell you wich one,and how to mound it the best way.

good luck with your upgrade

INSPIRON 530:CPU E8400
    RAM 2GB
    HDD 250GB
    Gigabyte Gf8800GT
    Corsair VX450Watt
    Iiyama 22 inch 

• How did you change your CPU fan, Mars? Was your standard one different to mine as you're running a C2D? (There's a Q6600 in mine) The CPU fan on mine is attached by screws onto a large heatsink. The heatsink is then fixed to the mainboard by screws as well. Could the fan just be swapped, but leave the heatsink behind?

Oh, and I've already taken one Insprion back due to the CPU fan being noisy (The one I have now is a bit quieter, but not by much)

Thanks again :)

• Our standard heatsink/fan kits should be different as the Quad needs more cooling but the holes on the socket should be the same size, I can't say for sure. 

I am sure there is someone out here who knows and will let us know.

If you are going to replace the fan you may as well replace the whole set.

Fan and heatsink were one on the aftermarket, I removed both the stock fan and heatsink.

The Zalman was a perfect fit, the screws fit right into the holes for the original fan.

I have had several pc's and the stock inspiron has been the most quiet.

Are you sure it's not the power supply making the noise?

Inspiron 530

Core2Duo 8500 3.16GHZ

Geforce GTX 650 1GB

Zalman 9500AT Cooler

Antec Neopower 550

Vista Home Premium 32bit

• I have checked all of the other "fan based" items that are in the case. The noise is coming from the CPU fan for sure. I did however, unscrew the fan, and reseat it. This has brought the "buzzing" down a tad.

I googled your coller that you use, and it is indeed usable on a Quad Core CPU.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=161

Did you say that the cooler and heatsink just bolt right into the standard holes in the motherboard? It says (on the Zalman site) that you have to mount a piece of plastic under the mainboard. Did you have to remove the MB to install the heatsink?

• the piece of plastic is a bracket that the motherboard already had, therefore no, I did not have to take the motherboard off although I did because I did not know it was there at the time.

And to answer your question, yes the cooler bolts right into the standard holes in the motherboard.

And, no I do not get a fan error.

Here is a link to the cooler I purhased:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118003

Message Edited by Mars1100 on 09-07-2008 08:48 AM

Inspiron 530

Core2Duo 8500 3.16GHZ

Geforce GTX 650 1GB

Zalman 9500AT Cooler

Antec Neopower 550

Vista Home Premium 32bit

• I was wondering if your 530 has an upgraded PSU? It's just I'm thinking about buying the same Zalman cooler as you, and getting an 8800gt. Also, how did you get around the "no-fan" message in the boot up screen after changing your fan? Many Thanks ValiantSaint
  • As you see in my signature(oops, it's not there. I will add it) I have an antec 550 psu, that was upgraded for the purpose of the gpu.

The "no-fan" error message never came up and I am not exactly sure why.

I know of others that have tried a different model of the zalman and get the error, apparently this one is similar in wiring to the dell fan.

Message Edited by Mars1100 on 09-11-2008 03:11 PM

Inspiron 530

Core2Duo 8500 3.16GHZ

Geforce GTX 650 1GB

Zalman 9500AT Cooler

Antec Neopower 550

Vista Home Premium 32bit

• Mars1100 wrote:

As you see in my signature(oops, it's not there. I will add it) I have an antec 550 psu, that was upgraded for the purpose of the gpu.

The "no-fan" error message never came up and I am not exactly sure why.

I know of others that have tried a different model of the zalman and get the error, apparently this one is similar in wiring to the dell fan.

Message Edited by Mars1100 on 09-11-2008 03:11 PM

The AT version of the Zalman uses a 4 wire fan connector is why you do not get a fan error.The non AT version is a 3 wire version that uses the Zalman FanMate controller what i have.The AT version is the one to get for the Vostro and Inspiron mini towers and also usually cheaper than the FanMate version.

Vostro-460 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  (Gigabyte Z68 motherboard,Core i7-2600@4.1GHz,Noctua NH-U9B SE2,16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600,SeaSonic X-850 power supply,OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Solid State Drive.)

• fx4baja,

does that mean that any fan with a 4 wire fan connector will work in the listed machines?

Message Edited by Mars1100 on 09-12-2008 03:56 PM

Inspiron 530

Core2Duo 8500 3.16GHZ

Geforce GTX 650 1GB

Zalman 9500AT Cooler

Antec Neopower 550

Vista Home Premium 32bit

•  

Mars1100 wrote:

fx4baja,

does that mean that any fan with a 4 wire fan connector will work in the listed machines?

Message Edited by Mars1100 on 09-12-2008 03:56 PM

Most likely when i get the time im going to try a few different heatsinks out to see.

Vostro-460 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  (Gigabyte Z68 motherboard,Core i7-2600@4.1GHz,Noctua NH-U9B SE2,16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600,SeaSonic X-850 power supply,OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Solid State Drive.)

• I was wondering how you have your fan mounted, mars? Does the Zalman have to mounted a certain way on these boards, or can you have the fanfacing in different ways? (Such as facing out the back of the case, or pointing towards the PSU)
  • The Zalman should be exhausting to the rear of the case.

• The instructions will show that it should blow the hot air out of the case, therefore as fx4baja answered I have it exhausting towards the rear of the machine.

Inspiron 530

Core2Duo 8500 3.16GHZ

Geforce GTX 650 1GB

Zalman 9500AT Cooler

Antec Neopower 550

Vista Home Premium 32bit