Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dell Dimension C521

• Hello,

My current setup is as follows:
    AMD Sempron 3400+ 1.8GHz
    3.5GB RAM
    32-bit Windows Vista Premium

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

Now my question is, is it a viable choice for me to upgrade the processor to (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Dual Core 3.2GHz) and add a Low Profile video card (Galaxy GeForce 8600GT 540MHZ 256MB 1.4GHZ DDR3 PCI-E VGA DVI TV out)

What I am asking is, since the Dell Dimension C521 is a slim form tower, and I plan to have a gaming rig (not for hardcore hardware games like Crysis, I mean for CoD4 and the whatnot), is it a viable choice to just upgrade my processor and add in a low profile video card, or just buy a new PC completely?

Thanks!

• To play that game well, you need a video card well beyond anything you can put in that system.

• ejn63 wrote:

To play that game well, you need a video card well beyond anything you can put in that system.

which game??? they said they wont be playing Crysis.   COD4 plays GREAT on an 8600GT at decent settings @ 1280x1024...   I have it.

• Xiaoset wrote:

Hello,

My current setup is as follows:
    AMD Sempron 3400+ 1.8GHz
    3.5GB RAM
    32-bit Windows Vista Premium

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

Now my question is, is it a viable choice for me to upgrade the processor to (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Dual Core 3.2GHz) and add a Low Profile video card (Galaxy GeForce 8600GT 540MHZ 256MB 1.4GHZ DDR3 PCI-E VGA DVI TV out)

What I am asking is, since the Dell Dimension C521 is a slim form tower, and I plan to have a gaming rig (not for hardcore hardware games like Crysis, I mean for CoD4 and the whatnot), is it a viable choice to just upgrade my processor and add in a low profile video card, or just buy a new PC completely?

Thanks!

I have a system with the same Chipset, 2GB ram, with an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane, with an 8600GT DDR3 256mb etc... and COD4 plays great, along with World of Warcraft, UT3, and many others.  Now it will be hard to MAX detail/graphic settings but at 1280x1024 and mid to mid-high details everything plays great. All depends on what you expect i guess.

*You MAY get much better performance also by going back to Win XP if possible.

Message Edited by lpprikej on 05-01-2008 10:12 AM
  • So, it is 100% possible to upgrade the processor in this Dell Dimension C521? This certain C521 does not have a media card reader installed, so it's probably the first "batch" of C521's, also only an 80GB HDD. The processor, is it as easy to switch as it is RAM (take it out of the pins and replace) or is it a soldering technique?

I do not like the 1.8GHz, too slow, if I can upgrade to 3.2GHz processor and it supports the AMD X2 series, then why not? Save some money instead of buying a new PC right?
  • mate sorry to be bad news but the

(AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Dual Core 3.2GHz)

wont work in the c521 the highest you can have is the

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.80GHz because the 6400 is 125w and the 5600 is 85w,

so go for the 5600 more than fast enough,

as for the graphics card the galaxy is very good for a low profile

i got a 8600gt on my c521 plays cod 4 superb graphics and fps real good,

i play crysis on med/high settings at full res no probs.

the 8600gt is the best low pro card out there.

dell c521
    amd athlon 64 x2 dual 5000+ black edition@3.0
    pov 8600gt 256mb gddr3
    4gb ocz 6400 ram

• oh as for fitting the cpu, easy pezy! use this:-

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimc521/en/SM_EN/parts.htm#wp1113177

tell us how you get on!

• That's an awesome link you just showed me, I've had the hardest time with the HDD, seemed almost impossible to come out, but that guide sure does help, thanks!

Now, as for the 8600GT, I have been looking at this Chaintech 8600GT 512MB (think it's DDR2), would that be better than the Galaxy 8600GT DDR3 256MB?
  • well well, this is the first time ive seen a 512mb low profile, because i live in the uk,

the gddr3 memory will be faster, but thats only 256mb on the galaxy

and gddr2 will be a bit slower but it has 512mb hmmm this is a hard one!!

i would go for the galaxy i think,

keep in touch with wot you do, cos like to know wot the dell c521 clan put in these boxes

of joy lol!!

dell c521
    pov 8600gt 256mb ddr3
    4gb ocz 6400 ram

• Go with the DDr3 Galaxy.  The chance that you will need 512MB in general is slim to none.  The 8600GTs with DDr3 run MUCH faster.

• yeah thats what i thought, but was not to sure,

glad i  brought a

point of view 8600gt 256mb with gddr3 low profile

its made one massive difference to the graphics

dell c521
    pov 8600gt 256mb ddr3
    4gb ocz 6400 ram

• Awesome, Awesome. Now, I know DDR3 is very fast compared to DDR2, but if I'm going to be playing graphically intense games, what would honestly be better, for graphics, not speed, 512MB with lower speed or 256MB with higher speed?

I'm just trying to get all my knowledge down before I make the purchase.

• well i had a look around and its a bit 50/50 on what to get

some say ddr2

some say ddr3

so not sure mate,

i ve got 256 ddr3 in mine and it runs crysis on med/high settings with no stutters or anything

on 1280x1024 res

dell c521
    pov 8600gt 256mb ddr3
    4gb ocz 6400 ram

• Xiaoset wrote:
    Awesome, Awesome. Now, I know DDR3 is very fast compared to DDR2, but if I'm going to be playing graphically intense games, what would honestly be better, for graphics, not speed, 512MB with lower speed or 256MB with higher speed?

I'm just trying to get all my knowledge down before I make the purchase.

Speed is STILL number 1, then amount of ram. What type of games? What size monitor (to figure out what Resolutions you want to run)

Ram on a video card is figured out mainly by the Resolution you will be set at, Color Depth, and SOMETIMES if you play modded games where a particular MAP/Scene etc use many more colors etc.... Also whether you want to run AA and how much 2x 4x 8x etc...

Personally I have never run out of Video ram to notice any performance hits. I have only 256MB ram too.  Of course to cover all bases, get the Highest amount of ram AND the fastest you can, but this gets pricey.

We can recommend better if you want to give $$ you want to spend and what games you would like to play, and at what resolutions you want to run them at. Typically the max res i run is the RECOMMENDED res of my monitor but that is just me.

• Yeah, I think I'll go for the Galaxy 8600GT DDR3 256MB seeing as how I have a CRT monitor (will be upgrading to an LCD sometime in the future) my resolution wont be as intense as most peoples now. I do, however, have a 37" Sharp Aquos HD-TV with VGA output in it, may hook my PC up to that sometime for kicks lol.

Ok, got the processor and video card out of the way, the absolute last thing is finding a correct size Media Card Reader for my C521, since it was the "first batch" and never came with it. Any ideas?

Again, just trying to make this PC as best as it can get before needing a new tower to get rid of the low profile.