Dimension 9100 locks up with memory upgrade - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Dimension 9100 locks up with memory upgrade

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dimension 9100 locks up with memory upgrade

• I have a Dim 9100 desktop with Pentium 4  3.0 g (#630) processor and running XP Media center OS.I recently upgraded my memory to four 1 gb modules pc5300 667 mhz purchased thru DELL.The system wont boot up at all.It comes on with a black screen and says "X300 SE 128MB BIOS P/N 113-A33406-100".It locks up with that on the screen.If I turn the computer off and pull two of the memory modules out of the black dimm 2&4 slots ,it boots up and works fine.I've swapped the memory modules around to different combinations and nothing changes.It works correctly every time with 2 gb of memory in the dimm slots (white) 1&3 and wont work at all with all the modules in.Anyone have a clue of whats wrong?

• Are you saying that you tried both sets of memory and both work by themselves?

Did you try just one set of memory in the black sockets (white sockets empty)?

Did you try mixing modules from each set (one new and one old)?

You need to determine if it is a module incompatibility issue or a 4G issue or a socket issue.

Peter
  • Hi,

I found a post by ChrisM on this subject, but I can not find it again. It talked about the video card. Try a pm to ChrisM.

I Only found one post worked, that person removed his video card and reseated it, his problem went away.

A google search showed that is was a problem on Dell Dimension's 8400, 4700, 3000. Also was a problem with ram from other manufactures all on Dell's.

Ati search and Dell support search I found nothing.

Again the only think that I found that fixed this was to reseat your video card.

Good luck,

Mike

System (1)
    XPS720
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz 1066 Mhz
    4Gb Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400DDR2-800 SLI-Ready
    Qty.(1) Seagate Barracuda 250Gb Hard Drive
    Qty.(2) Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hard Drive
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 786Mb Memory
    Dual Drives: 16X DVD-RW & 16X DVD-Rom
    Dell 24" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor

System (2) & (3) On Order will be full time Folding
    Vostro 400
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz 1066MHz
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    2GB Dell DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
    128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8300GS
    250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Dual Drives: 16X DVD-RW Burner & 48X CD Burner/DVD Combo
    Dell 20" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor

• Hi,

I found the post from ChrisM, he posted the following.

* Power the PC off
    * Remove the X300 SE
    * Attach the monitor to the onboard video card
    * Power the the monitor on, then the PC
    * When the blue Dell logo appears, press F2
    * Down arrow to Video [press the ENTER key]
    * Change to Onboard
    * Press Escape to save the changes and Exit
    * Does the PC bootup?

Unfortunately there was not responce from poster.

Again Good Luck,

Mike

System (1)
    XPS720
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz 1066 Mhz
    4Gb Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400DDR2-800 SLI-Ready
    Qty.(1) Seagate Barracuda 250Gb Hard Drive
    Qty.(2) Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hard Drive
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 786Mb Memory
    Dual Drives: 16X DVD-RW & 16X DVD-Rom
    Dell 24" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor

System (2) & (3) In transit to me.
    Vostro 400
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz 1066MHz
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    2GB Dell DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz
    128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8300GS
    250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Dual Drives: 16X DVD-RW Burner & 48X CD Burner/DVD Combo
    Dell 20" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor

• I have not tried two modules in the black slots as the manual says to use the white dimm slots first.I suppose it cant hurt to try?.I have tried two 1 gb modules at a time and used boot to utility partition and done a memory test and all the modules pass the test.I can also try  a pair of 512 mb pc2-5300 modules in two of the slots as they came in the computer when I bought it and I kept them around.I dont know if the system has any onboard video card.The video card thats in there was installed by dell so I can assume thats the X300?.I'm at the extent of my computer ability just getting this far.

• avnut,

I have not tried two modules in the black slots.
    * What was the result of trying all 4 in pairs in the black slots?
  • Thanks for the replys.I would like to make a correction to my earlier posts.The white dimm slots are 1 and 2 and the blacks are 3 and 4.I tried both 512 mb and 1gb modules in different combinations.If I use modules in just the black slots the unit will not boot up and the monitor stays unlit.If I use just the white slots It boots up and works okay.If I use all the slots it will not boot up or even post.The monitor just displays "X300 SE 128MB BIOS P/N 113-A33406-100.If I install modules in both the white dimm slots (1&2) and a module in black dimm 4 It will boot up and work correctly.Anytime I install any module in Black dimm 3 slot (and nothing in black dimm 4) The system will start to boot up and monitor will display a blue screen ,freeze up and display error codes.I tried pulling and reinstalling the video card and it had no effect.Could I have a bad Dimm 3 socket?

• Sounds like it.  Try just one module in that socket (#3 filled but all others empty).  If it fails, but works in #4, it appears you have a problem socket.  It has happened before.

Peter
  • peter345,

I tried a module in the black dimm #3 slot alone.The computer monitor started to come on then went blank and I got a buzzing noise from either the motherboard or video card.If the socket is bad does that mean I have to replace the motherboard?

• After reading some other topics on this board I got to wondering if I am trying to put in too much memory(4 gb @667mhz)for my system.From my buildsheet I have a Pentium 4 cpu PRESCOTT #630  3.0GHZ 800 FBS. 64 BIT. The original memory ran at 533 mhz,but the new memory modules seems to run at 667 mhz.Would it be a problem to run 3gb of memory because the two banks would be mismatched?If the CPU is 64 bit does that mean the OS is 64 bit?

• If the memory works in all of the other sockets but none of it works in #3, it sounds like a bad motherboard (socket #3).

You could try taking a look at the socket to see if anything is obviously wrong.

64-bit CPU means it can run a 64-bit OS.  It does not mean the OS must be 64-bit.

It should take 4G at 667M.  However, you can see that it can't even take a single module in #3, so the total memory isn't the issue.

Peter
  • How can I tell the difference from 64 bit OS from a 32 Bit OS?

Also,if the motherboard has a bad socket,what are my options?

• In Windows press Windows Key-Break.  It will tell if what OS you have.  If it doesn't say 64-bit, then it is 32-bit.

If you have a bad memory socket, then you need a new motherboard or just don't use it.

Peter

• peter345

Thanks for your help!

Tom

• You're welcome.  Bad sockets are not that common, but it does happen.  I would visually inspect it to make sure it is nothing simple.

Peter