OptiPlex 755 305W powersupply and GeForce 9600GT

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

OptiPlex 755 305W powersupply and GeForce 9600GT

• This has been probably asked many times, but I could not find a definitive answer in the forums, so here it goes:

I have a OptiPlex 755 in a large case, and it came with the 305W power supply. It has a 6600 quad core processor, 2gb of ram, a sata hd and a sata dvd/rw, and usb keyboard, mouse.

I want to buy the new GeForce 9600GT card that is rated at 400W (and guru 3d - http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/501/16/) recomends a 450W supply.

(1) Is my current PSU enough to power the GeForce card?

(2) If I need to upgrade, can I use a standard power supply or I need a Dell specific one?

(3) Upgrading the PSU will void my warranty?

Regards... OP

• (1)Well its still new but from what i have seen, the 9600GT draws a max of approx 55w.  An 8800GT 512MB takes up to approx 78W peak and others have installed using the 305w psu.  Your 305w can push up to approx 400-450w also. 

(2) You should have a pretty big hole in the back of your tower to put in a nice ATX 12v psu. Just make sure the combined output wattage (or amperage) of the +12v rails is greater than your current Dell 305w.

(3) I dont think it will void the warranty but not sure. This is why you keep your stock psu...... 

• What stenciling (if any) do you have beside your PCIe x16 slot? I have the Opti755 desktop, and it is allegedly rated at 25W max.  However, I have not been successful in determining if that is a "recommended" max or an absolute. Replacing the NVS290 with a 2400XT doesn't seem like much of an upgrade...

bg
  • Thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure what you mean by stenciling, by I infer from your message that the PCI slot in the Optiplex might have a maximum power of 25W (less than the 75W usually expected at PCI slots). Am I right? In thise case, what my choices would be? Any new generation card will work capped at 25W? even if I use the external power connections?

Rgds, OP

• You are welcome on the quick reply -- what are Monday mornings at the office for?? :)

>>by I infer from your message that the PCI slot in the Optiplex might have a maximum power of 25W

Correct. It is my understanding that the PCIe x16 slot is limited to 25W.  Video cards with an external power connector  are typically those that require >75W -- so I'm not sure how they would work in a "25W" slot.  In other words, I'm not sure if the external power connector will be designed to handle the 25-75W delta, plus whatever is needed beyond 75W.

Regarding upgrade options, they look pretty slim.  As a baseline, my Optiplex 755 (Q6600+NVS290 video) benches on 3dmark06 around 1300 marks at 1280x1024.  An nVidia 8400GS would typically be around 1500, and the 2400XT would be around 1800 or so.  ATI's new 3470 is probably going to be in the 1800-2000 range. 

Stepping up to a 35-45W card like the 3650 or an 8500GT, would get you into the ~5000 mark territory -- still pretty pitiful for a Q6600 system, but much better than 1300...

Please let me know if you find out any definite info on that slot and its upgradeability (or lack thereof). I have the desktop 755, but I believe that both the desktop and the mini-tower use the same mobo.

rgds,bg

• Power Supply Most Often Asked Question......

In many cases, not all, recommendations by card manufacturers and some computer mag's, on how big a power supply should be, is normally based on the maximum possible load of the systems components plus some added head room. Other words over loading one's system to the hills. This will confuse some first timers of this unrealistic high power supply requirements, than buying more than they need, and in some cases buying a power supply upgrade that was not needed in the first place. Read in a mag that the power supply rating is almost like double than what is really seen in real-life applications

Dell's power supply is normally underrated, to read the mean average. Reason for this is that Dell wants to be on the conservative side for those that may over do things with their systems. The peak is much higher, and a Dell system can handle many cards that the card manufactures suggest a higher required power supply. Card manufactures list a higher wattage number than is really necessary for their cards, to be more liberal for those individuals that overload their systems with additional hard drives, optical drives, pci slots filled up. This is normally not for those that have a stock system.

This has been an ongoing topic for many years, with the same answer on this forum. Your systems stock power supply will handle many cards just fine. Others have this same system, same power supply and upgraded their cards without issues. Some members may weigh in with their experiences to prove this point. I had a stock 250 watt power supply that handled very well a video card that suggested a 300 and one 350 watter. No issues to report. Many other members have the same experience. You will notice on this forum that this question has been asked on a daily basis.

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

• opinsky wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure what you mean by stenciling, by I infer from your message that the PCI slot in the Optiplex might have a maximum power of 25W (less than the 75W usually expected at PCI slots). Am I right? In thise case, what my choices would be? Any new generation card will work capped at 25W? even if I use the external power connections?

Rgds, OP

You said LARGE case did you not?  Also, the 305w PSU came in ONLY the TOWER (Large Case). The 25W limit is ONLY on the Desktop and SFF 755's NOT the TOWER. If you have the tower, please re-read my post above for the proper recommendation.
  • Thanks, Great news: I do have the tower case. I will experiment with video cards and update the forum on the results...

OP

• opinsky wrote:

Thanks, Great news: I do have the tower case. I will experiment with video cards and update the forum on the results...

OP

Sounds good  :)
  • Sorry, but I've gotten a bit confused now -- easy for me to do. Since I have the desktop 755 (w/280W PS), should I stay with a card in the 25W range, or should the PS handle a mid-level card (i.e. <75W, like the 3650/2600XT) with the Q6600, 2 HDD's, and 16X DVD-RW?

thanks!

• I have a desktop 755 with Q6600, 4GB, 160GB HD, nvidia geforce 8600GT. the works. everything works fantastic

• The optiplex 755 comes in four sizes, one is the larger desktop and the others are slim cases and will not take a full size video card just to clue you in on the options this model comes in

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op755/EN/UG/HTML/index.htm

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

• I beleive the 280w came only in the Desktop, Not SFF, or USFF. 

Hydra uses an 8600GT which is a 30w peak card and we know how Dell is underrated so yes you may be able to go with a 30w-45w card for example.

If you do NOT have a RISER installed with PCIe X16, you can only use Low-Profile cards anyway. If a riser is installed, with an x16 slot you can use Full height cards.

• I have a 755 Tower and am trying to install a GeForce 8600 GTS, but I am a bit confused with the power connector. The card comes with a 6-pin connector that has two 4-pin power inputs. The power supply doesn't have 4 pin connectors (even though the specs online show one). Is there an adapter that I can buy to get from the SATA power to the 6-pin on the card?
  • Ok, so I have a 745. Forgot that I got this one before we got the rest of the fleet. Question still stands.