Precision T3400 Processor Upgrade - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Precision T3400 Processor Upgrade

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Precision T3400 Processor Upgrade

• Although Dell does not seem to encourage upgrading cpu's after purchase, is it possible to upgrade the Precision T3400 from an Intel™ Core®2 Duo E4300 processor to a more powerful CPU? 

Is the process of upgrading the T3400 cpu differnt than upgrading a cpu on most motherboards?

What other cpu's will work with the T3400 motherboard?

Many thanks in advance,

PB

Current configuration:

T3400 with Intel™ Core®2 Duo E4300

1 gb memory

160 gb hdd

Windows XP  sp2 

• Hi,

Your system should have an Intel X38 Express Chipset, here is all you need to know it,

Intel® X38 Express Chipset

Your computer spec's (page 31)

Dell Precision™ Workstation T3400

How to replace the processor in a T3400 (page 243)

Adding and Replacing Parts, Processor

Mike

XPS720
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    McAfee Security Center
    Microsoft Office 2007
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz
    4Gb Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400DDR2-800 SLI-Ready
    Qty.(1) Seagate Barracuda 250Gb Hard Drive
    Qty.(2) Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hard Drive
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 786Mb Memory
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Sound Card
    LITE-ON 16X DVD-ROM
    LITE-ON 16X DVD-RW
    Broadcom 5754 Ethernet NIC NetXtreme
    Dell 24" LCD Monitor
    Logitec Cordless Desktop Wave Keyboard & Mouse
    HP Scanjet G4010 Photo Flatbed Scanner
    Canon i950s Photo Printer

Message Edited by LeahcimAz on 02-10-2008 10:16 AM
    Message Edited by LeahcimAz on 02-10-2008 10:20 AM
  • Hi LeahcimAz:

I am in the same position--thanks for the info.

One clarification. In the manual I notice that the heatsink is not glued/welded to the cpu.

Tp upgrade, should one use the retail cpu (comes with a fan or is it a heatsink) or the oem cpu + some sort of  fan/heatsink?

if retail cpu: does the fan/heatsink power connector need an adapter or other parts?

if oem cpu: what fan/heatsink does one need? any other parts?

Best 

• Hello Anga,

Question: One clarification. In the manual I notice that the heatsink is not glued/welded to the CPU.

Answer: There is a thin layer of  Thermal Compound  between the heatsink and the processor. How to Apply Thermal Paste Correctly

Question: To upgrade, should one use the retail CPU (comes with a fan or is it a heatsink) or the OEM CPU + some sort of  fan/heatsink?

Answer: I recommend you use a OEM processor rather than a Retail processor and save a few bucks.

Question: If retail CPU: does the fan/heatsink power connector need an adapter or other parts?

Answer: Just Thermo Compound. But Dell states in the T3400 Service Manual starting on Page 243 (remove and reinstall processor) not to use an aftermarket heatsink.

Question: If OEM CPU: what fan/heatsink does one need? Any other parts?

Answer: Use the stock Dell Heatsink and Thermo Compound.

Please feel free to PM if you need more information.

Mike

aka The Commander

System (1) XPS720
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz 1066 Mhz, 4Gb Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz SLI-Ready
    Qty.(1) Seagate Barracuda 250Gb Hard Drive, Qty.(2) Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hard Drive
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 786Mb Memory, Dual Drives: 16X DVD-RW & 16X DVD-Rom
    Dell 24" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor

System's (2) thru (17) Vostro 400's
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz 1066MHz, Windows XP Home Edition
    2GB Dell DDR2 PC-6400 800MHz, 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8300GS
    250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive, Dual Drives: 16X DVD-RW Burner & 48X CD Burner/DVD
    Dell 20" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor

• Buy the Retail CPU with Fan, then when you upgrade the CPU you can sell the old one with the fan, I have upgraded my T3400 to a Quad Core 2.83GHz 1333FSB

Clayton

• .That is a good idea Clayton.

What cpu did you upgrade from? Was it a dual-core?

What if the heatsink that came with T3400 cannot handle the heat generated by the latest quad-core cpu? 

The heatsink/fan with the retail cpu has a 4-pin power connector while it is possible that the heatsink/fan that comes with T3400 may have a 5-pin power connector.

Can you check and let me know? 

• I upgraded from a 2.33GHz Dual Core to a 2.83GHz Quad Core, the heatsink is stock standard on the Precision and from what I can gather should be able to handle upto Extreme Edition CPU's.

As for the CPU fan, the Precisions have there own fans which are larger than the stock Intel brand

Clayton

• Thanks Clayton
  • So the answer to your question is that you can upgrade the CPU to any CPU running at 1333 FSB that will be the maximum the board can handle, mine is the Quad Core 2.83GHz, you could go further to a Quad Core 3.0GHz Extreme Edition, but these CPU's are designed for overclocking and the board in the T3400 are not able to be overclocked so all you will benifit from is an extra 1.7GHz but for $1000 it's not worth it.

Before you upgrade the CPU, make sure you update the BIOS to the latest, most BIOS updates from DELL are for processor support.

I can buy a CPU for half the price DELL charges, so I ordered my system with the cheapest CPU and the CPU fan from the 2.83GHz CPU I brought will go hand and hand with the 2.33GHz CPU, which I have sold.

Clayton

• It is comforting to know that you have retained the heatsink while upgrading from dual-core to quad-core cpu.

It will be even more comforting to find out that the original cpu heatsink/fan is the same for both dual-core and quad-core. 

You can start by posting the part # that came with your dual-core T3400.

Perhaps someone else can post the part # that came with their quad-core T3400. 

• I'll let you know what the part number is for the heatsink that came with the Dual Core CPU, I think it will be the same but it would be good to confirm the part number from a shipped Quad Core system

Clayton

• Has anyone upgraded a T3400 from the E7400 to the Q9550 processor?  Dell is currently asking $619 for this upgrade on a new machine, and that's just wacky when you can buy a new Q9550 OEM for about $240.

• Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I have 3, T3400s.  One has E4300 CPU, another has E8200 CPU, the third has Q9300 CPU (quad core).  I notice the heat sinks on the 2, C2Ds are the same, but the heat sink on the Q9300 is different.  (Earlier poster said, "T3400 CPU SHOULD handle all up to Extreme Model".) My question is, are they different because they need to be as the Q9300 runs hotter and requires better cooling?  I’m thinking of replacing the CPU in the one with E4300 CPU and am wondering if the heat sink on it would be adequate for a Q9550, C2D quad core.

• Anga

It is comforting to know that you have retained the heatsink while upgrading from dual-core to quad-core cpu.

It will be even more comforting to find out that the original cpu heatsink/fan is the same for both dual-core and quad-core. 

You can start by posting the part # that came with your dual-core T3400.

Perhaps someone else can post the part # that came with their quad-core T3400. 

Please see my post above.  I have C2D and a C2Q.. and the heat sinks are not the same.

• I just bought another T3400 with a quad core.  Its heat sink is like the other quad I have and different from my C2Ds.  While an observation, there still is no answer to the question, "Did Dell simply change heat sinks for the T3400 or do the Q9xxx require a different one from the C2Ds"?