Dimension 3000 into new case

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dimension 3000 into new case

• Hello, I've searched the forums as much as I can, but am getting no where. I recently purchased a new computer case at CompUSA for my Dimension 3000. I've got everything transferred over into the new case, however I am having trouble connecting the front audio/usb input cables along with the front power swith cables from the new case onto my current motherboard.

I've researched up and down trying to find the specifications on the motherboard all i've got is that it's a foxconn motherboard, but i cant get a model number.

My problem is that the cables that came with the new case aren't set up as a single plug like it was with the original dell case....they are a bunch of separate pin connectors and I dont know how to connect the pin connectors to the current motherboard.

I talked to a guy at CompUSA and he said there are foxconn adapters available out their so that I can plug the pin connectors from the new case into the adapter and then the adapter into the motherboard.

Does anybody know where I can get a diagram of the motherboard actual pin connectors? I need help with the front panel I/O connector (J9G1), the front panel audio connector (J9C2) and the control panel connector (J7J2)

Or can somebody refer me to a site where I can get the adapters from. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Mike
  • All the posts from the "experts" on here say that the Dell front panel connector is proprietary and undocumented.  Which means you are on your own to figure out which wires are for the front panel power switch then you will have to fabricate your own Molex connector for the power switch.  Same way with the other connectors, if you can.  Dell's are poor candidates for modifying, you need a lot of technical ability to do it.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• "I talked to a guy at CompUSA and he said there are foxconn adapters available out their so that I can plug the pin connectors from the new case into the adapter and then the adapter into the motherboard."

If you can find these and post a link, you would make thousands of Dell owners very happy.

Your best bet is to back trace the wires on the 3000 case, make your own pinout diagram. Not easy but it is the only way unless someone else has done it and shares the info, I have seen some pinout diagrams for Dells, but none for the 3000.

• mombodog wrote:
    Your best bet is to back trace the wires on the 3000 case, make your own pinout diagram. Not easy but it is the only way unless someone else has done it and shares the info, I have seen some pinout diagrams for Dells, but none for the 3000.

Mombodog is correct that is easy for the power and LED's trace the wires from the power switch and LED's in the Dell case to the motherboard once you do that you can plug the new case 1x1 single header connectors into the motherboard pins you traced.The USB connector should plug into the Dell motherboard just like the original unless they gave you single connector's than you will have to find a standard USB pinout diagram and follow that the USB pins on the Dell motherboard are standard.I cant help with the front audio i never traced it since i dont use it.The connectors in your new case should be marked.

Vostro-460 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  (Gigabyte Z68 motherboard,Core i7-2600@4.1GHz,Noctua NH-U9B SE2,16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600,SeaSonic X-850 power supply,OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Solid State Drive.)

• fireberd wrote:
    All the posts from the "experts" on here say that the Dell front panel connector is proprietary and undocumented.  Which means you are on your own to figure out which wires are for the front panel power switch then you will have to fabricate your own Molex connector for the power switch.  Same way with the other connectors, if you can.  Dell's are poor candidates for modifying, you need a lot of technical ability to do it.

Most Dell's are but there are exceptions and the Dimension 3000 is one of them.

Vostro-460 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  (Gigabyte Z68 motherboard,Core i7-2600@4.1GHz,Noctua NH-U9B SE2,16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600,SeaSonic X-850 power supply,OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Solid State Drive.)

• I'm curious-did the physical connections between the motherboard and the new case line up? I was under the impression that THAT was what was proprietary about Dell's motherboards, but apparently not? (If not, then the only proprietary thing would be the front case connections, and maybe you can even figure out what to hook stuff to as per an earlier post?)

• tigerwolf7 wrote:
    I'm curious-did the physical connections between the motherboard and the new case line up? I was under the impression that THAT was what was proprietary about Dell's motherboards, but apparently not? (If not, then the only proprietary thing would be the front case connections, and maybe you can even figure out what to hook stuff to as per an earlier post?)

The Dimension 3000 motherboard has a standard m-ATX form factor so it will fit into a standard ATX case and vice versa a non-Dell standard m-ATX motherboard will fit into a Dimension 3000 case.The wiring is where SOME people start throwing out words like proprietary like it takes some great technical feat to change out a few slip lock header connectors and if you do need help people on the forum that actully done the swap are here to help out.

Dell cases that use front ribbon cables instead of regular wiring,motherboard trays with fixed rear I/O plates and clam shell cases those are what i call proprietary.

• thanks for all the quick detailed responses. I think I can do the audio and USB by looking up a pin diagram for USB I talked to a friend who works on custom pc's and he said he'd help me with it. The audio and USB should be simple he said but its the power connections he's worried about. If we can figure it out I'll post the solution. Thanks again!!!

Message Edited by justmike1787 on 01-28-2008 12:49 PM
  • Trust me the power and LED'S are a cake walk you will see as well as the USB.The front audio may take some time with a Fluke meter to trace but your friend shoudn't have a problem with it.You can check some of my old post i believe there's pinout diagram somewhere in one of those for the power and LED'S and USB.There's another post by someone else long ago that traced the front audio and had it working.You might find something helpful in the few links below.When you trace the audio post back the info then we will have the complete case wiring documented for future reference.

• If you can get the power button working, that's really the main thing. Front USB is nice, but not critical. Front audio even less so, particularly if you're using a sound card.

I'm just amazed it can be done at all...although I'm not completely sure what the point is since the main issue with that system was just that it lacks an AGP or PCIe x16 slot.

I wonder how many other Dell systems could be similarly moved over? I was always told the physical connections to the case are different than standard, but if they were just normal ATX boards...

Message Edited by tigerwolf7 on 01-29-2008 09:23 AM

• tigerwolf7 wrote:
    If you can get the power button working, that's really the main thing. Front USB is nice, but not critical. Front audio even less so, particularly if you're using a sound card.

I'm just amazed it can be done at all...although I'm not completely sure what the point is since the main issue with that system was just that it lacks an AGP or PCIe x16 slot.

I wonder how many other Dell systems could be similarly moved over? I was always told the physical connections to the case are different than standard, but if they were just normal ATX boards...

Message Edited by tigerwolf7 on 01-29-2008 09:23 AM

m-ATX
    1)Dimension B110,1100,2300, 2350, 2400, 3000, 4600,4700
    2)Optiplex 170L
    3)VOSTRO-200,400  (you will not have rear I/O filler plate)
    4)Inspiron 530,531 (you will not have rear I/O filler plate)

FULL SIZE-ATX
    1)PowerEdge Server Tower-700,800,830,840 case can be used for standard non Dell full ATX motherboard you do have to change to standard front panel wiring though the power and LED's use ribbon style cable and change out the header connector on the USB harness(PowerEdge700 does not have front USB).Also have to make sure it has the motherboard tray included.

That is all the models that im aware of.

• I did eventually get the power connections hooked up and the power/reset switches working right...so now it is up and running. I do not have the audio/USB connections installed yet as I do no have the patience for it...after almost 24hours of str8 screwing around with all the connections i've decided that they can wait for later. Basically I just had to try the control pins in different set-ups until one worked properly.

Thanks again for all the help!

• justmike1787 wrote:
    Basically I just had to try the control pins in different set-ups until one worked properly.

Thanks again for all the help!

Yea, the power switch will work with power and ground wire going to either pin and if the LED's dont light up just reverse connection.Does your case have a bunch of single connectors for USB?

• No, it has two 4-pin plugs with a separate 1-pin ground plug for each.

New problem tho...on working on it the other day, I was trying to get the venting system to the heat sink set up, it wasnt an exact fit, but I got it on there. I proceeded to stand up my PC and it was running...next thing I knew it had turned off.

Turned it back on...informed me last shut down was due to "thermal error" or something of the sorts...then proceeded to shut off again.

For the next day or so I could turn on the entire PC, but would get no output to the monitor, mouse or keyboard (all 3 of which I checked on my backup PC and they worked fine). Now the PC wont even turn on...it just flashes and autoshuts off before even beginning to boot up.

Talked to a few computer buds and they all think it is the CPU...so that's the next step is getting the CPU. When I get home I'll look up the service tag on the old case and look up compatible CPUs but does anybody know of a cheap place to get CPUs? I had an old 2.8 but, if able to, i'd like to get a 3.2. Thanks
  • Are you still using the Dell heatsink and Dell fan without the green shroud it will overheat without the shroud.