Phenom in Inspiron 531?

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Phenom in Inspiron 531?

• just curious, anyone able to put a phenom in inspiron 531 yet? or has anyone done it?
  • It ain't gonna happen. It's socket AM2+.
  • ouch, thanks!
  • Socket AM2+ would be compatable in an AM2 board (with a bios update).
    I don't see that happening though.

• me either.  Dell will probably come out with an updated version on the inspiron 531 wtih am2+ motherboard within I'm betting.
  • im inclined to agree with both u, well.. one could hope :smileyvery-happy:

• Although you never know for sure.  It would be nice to have a phenom in this pc. :smileyhappy:
  • so from my understanding, our AM2 can accomodate phenom right? its just not sure if the bios would support it right? suppose i can try it out.. frys has 15 days no restocking fee on cpu even if mounted...
  • It could but the problem would be if the bios notices the processor. If it does, the fan control and the processor multiplier would probably be off and you would have to get a better fan for the cpu.

Message Edited by 1chaoticadult on 12-16-2007 01:00 AM
  • I wanted to try myself but I would rather wait because right my system is completely stable.
  • Even if Dell did provide a BIOS update to allow for Phenom support (which they won't), the processor would be limited to socket AM2 Hypertransport specs, as you would need a socket AM2+ motherboard to get all the features the Phenom has.

Quote:

"AMD confirmed that AM2 processors will work in AM2+ motherboards and AM2+ processors will work on AM2 motherboards. However, due to the lack of support of HyperTransport 3.0 and separated power planes in Socket AM2 motherboards, AM2+ chips will be limited to the specifications of Socket AM2 (HyperTransport 2.0 at the speed of 1 GHz, one power plane for both Cores and IMC). AM2 chips will not benefit from faster HyperTransport and separated power planes on AM2+ motherboards as they do not support them, AM2+ motherboard then fall back to compatibility mode using AM2 specifications."

I don't know how much this would cripple the Phenom. It's probably moot anyway, as Dell will probably come out with a new model that supports the Phenom natively. They would not want to hinder those sales by giving you the ability to upgrade previous models. It's the same scenario with the XPS 400s not supporting the C2Ds when the chipset has the ability to do so. All it would take is a BIOS update. But that would have hurt the XPS 410 sales. It's capitalism 101, guys :)

Message Edited by robvei on 12-17-2007 05:00 AM
  • thast one thing .. well the only thing i hate about dell. i love them dearly, and no junk program, neatly arranged case.. but that bios lock arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Yea I know it would be crippled and limited to AM2 HyperTransport 2.0 speeds.  I read about this shortly Phenom first came out.  We are just saying it would be nice.  I'm just going to wait for now and decide what I will do.  It probably won't be worth upgrading to for now even with AM2+ at least for me.
  • im weird in a sense that intel quad is the popular platform,, but jsut to be different, i wouldnt mind building an x4 spyder platform just for the heck of it lol...... was thinking if i can get by with that in my inspiron ill do it,, if not oh well.......................man. did u guys see newegg. those am2+ mobo are expensive!
  • Yes they are.  Its only because there are not alot in production.  Plus I would prefer amd over intel.  Plus in order for us to be able to make a spider platform in I531 case, we need a micro atx motherboard first and for most.