Remove the deadly dust bunnies.Use a can of air.http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1300/
<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
Remove the Cover, Then blow out the copper heatsink.
Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here I do not work for Dell. I too am a user. The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderatingContact USA Technical Support
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro
I have a Dell Studio PP3L. I have had it for close to 3 years now and i'm having the M1004 overheating issue. I have taken it apart to cool it, cleaned the fan off, and i sit infront of a fan to try and keep it cool. Do you think the solution for the inspiron 1300 laptop would work on this laptop as well...
I was a Dell service provider for 5 years working on countless laptop, desktops, ect... ect... . I was certified on more that 300 of their products and was also a DCSE. If it is overheating make dell replace the motherboard and processor, just blowing it out does not mean there wasn't any damage from heat. Yeah and I have heard from people that the firmware that shuts it down because of overheating will prevent this, that is ***.