Inspiron 1150 cpu upgrade to Mobile P-4 - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Inspiron 1150 cpu upgrade to Mobile P-4

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Inspiron 1150 cpu upgrade to Mobile P-4

• Hello out there,

I'm posting this thread in regards to upgrading from a 2.6 ghz Celeron processor to a mobile Pentium 4 2.8ghz cpu in the Inspiron 1150 laptop platform.

First of all, I am not a computer "whiz". But I do enjoy "tinkering" with my (4) laptops, all of which are Dell. About a year ago, I began toying with the Idea of upgrading the processor in this 1150 Inspiron that has been my # 1 laptop ever since I got it as a birthday gift nearly 3 years ago, so I began searching to see if the upgrade could be done, which included calling Dell's technical support hotline. They said that It couldn`t be done that I would have to replace the motherboard, so I sort of gave up on the Idea,(for the time being) and just accepted that my 1150 would be a "mediocre" laptop running@2.6ghz. To be sure, it's still a great system for surfing the net, watching dvd's, and burning cd's, BUT for gaming, espcially 3'd games, it leaves alot to be desired. Anyway, this week-end I finally gathered the data and bought a P-4 for this thing, and you know what? It's GREAT! I read several posts concerning the overheating problems associated with this system, I was a bit dubious about doing it, but guess what? The heat is now well below what it was with the factory set-up. To be clear, when I used to have this laptop on my lap, it would get so hot, it would actually burn my legs! Now? It's  just barely warm. That's the truth. Also, something I noticed when I took out the Celeron, there was just a little thermal compound on the cpu. I used spectra-cool when I replaced the Celeron with the Pentium 4, not too much, just a thin layer. Why am I writing such a long post? Well ,there might be some-one out there that`s thinking of the same upgrade, and I just wanted to share with other users what my experiance has been (thus-far), with this change. I will include below which processor that i used. Incindentally, this week-end marks the third anniversary of this inspiron 1150's "birth". Labor-day 2004. It's actually on my lap right now posting this thread with it's new "heart"

Sincerely,     Intel Mobile Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 512/533 SL725 W/ the Dell Bios upgrade A07 
    Bob
  • Hello, Bob

I found my 1150 on the side of a street and fixed it for under $25.00. I damaged my 2.66 cpu while replacing the fan/heatsink unit. Can you tell me where I can find a Mobile P-4 to upgrade to. Along with where...I need to know any information that I will need to order it. I LOVE my little baby and can't wait to get her back online. Thank you and Thank you for the above post. Glad to know there's help out there for us "tinkerers".

Steve

• Hi Steve!

Amazingly, I ventured onto this post tonight, and saw you're having trouble withe your 1150. Although mine is long gone( I sold it around 6 years ago),  I have been playing around " tinkering" again with the most notorious of Dell laptops . The Inspiron 5150 . I can't remember  exactly what processor   It was on my 1150. Seems like the SL7P. Anyway, E-bay is the place. I believe that that system that had the Celeron, had the 478 socket, with a 400 FSB ( front side bus), speed , but I think that the system will up support a 512 L2 cache with a 533 FSB.

Again, check E- Bay. They are flooded with motherboards and there are processors that can be had as long as it is a mobile P- 4 with the right cache/ FSB speed , it should work.

Let me know if I can be of any further help, and ... Good luck !

Bob

• It's a mobile Pentium 4- SL725 processor running 2.8 GHZ.
  • Steve,

Check this e- bay listing # 281738661755 I believe this will work.

Bob