XPS M170 Processor Upgrade - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

XPS M170 Processor Upgrade

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

XPS M170 Processor Upgrade

• Hi, I bought an XPS M170 Notebook about a year and a half ago. I have decided that my processor isn't sufficient, so I'm looking to upgrade. I'm currently running the Pentium M 2.0 Ghz Dothan, 533 Mhz FSB. Anyways, I'm hoping to upgrade to dual core, and I have found a dual core processor with the same socket type (socket M) as the Pentium M. Here is the processor I'm looking at purchasing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111300

So I guess my question is, will that processor and my M170 motherboard jive, and work or am I limited to the Dothan single core series?
  • A Dual Core CPU won't fit in your M170.
    I think you're confusing the M170 "Pentium M" processor with the "Socket M" of a Dual Core CPU.

You put a T2300/T2400/T2500/T2600 Core Duo or T7200/T7400/T7600 Core 2 Duo CPU into a "Socket M" compatible motherboard (i.e. like in the M1710).

The M170 uses an entirely different CPU Socket.
  • Hmm, I swore that my machine uses socket M, oh well. Would it be worth the money to upgrade to the pentium M 2.26 Ghz? Or just wait a couple years then buy a whole new system?
  • It'll fit, but won't work.

The 2.26 is a modest upgrade over a 2.0, and unless you have a way to buy one far below the going price, makes no economic sense - the CPU still costs in the $600-700 range, and you will decidedly not see $600 worth of performance from the new CPU.
  • Yeah, I've read through a couple other threads and it won't work I guess because of my current chip set, which I assume is soldered directly to the mobo. Anyways thanks for the help, saved me alot of trouble and money.
  • would changing the mobo to accommodate a dual work? I have and xps m170 that i would like to upgrade as well. I have read on other threads that it can be done but you would have to change the entire mobo as well.