Inspiron E531 - compatible power supplies

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Inspiron E531 - compatible power supplies

• My Inspiron E531 is due to arrive today. I have a GeForce 7800GT video card I'd like to use, but I need a beefier power supply than the 300 watt Dell unit. I have an Antec SmartPower 2.0 500 watt power supply on hand. Will this unit work in the E531? What other power supplies might? I'm assuming the Dell power supply is a proprietary design and a standard ATX/BTX unit will work. Is that correct?
  • I can't say for sure on the new Inspiron's. but the later Dell's have been using standard ATX power supplies.  I have an E510, which is a BTX design but the ATX power supplies will work.  I just upgraded mine to an Antec True Power Trio 550 watt without problems.  Most new Dells require a 24 pin or 20 plus 4 for the motherboard plus a 4 pin 12 V.  Plus SATA for the optical and hard drives.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• squibbon

You can use ATX power supply with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector. As the i-531 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors

BUT, you may have a problem squeezing the standard lenght wiring harness into the case, because Dell PSU's for both the i-530 and i-531, use a custom lenght wiring harness.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Are there ATX/BTX power supplies in the 500-700 watt range that would fit the opening in the E531 case currently filled by the Bestec 300 watt unit better than others?
  • squibbon

Check out SeaSonic and Antec power supplies.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• I just installed an Antec True Power Trio 550 watt ATX power supply in my E510, which is the same case as yours.  Fits and works fine.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• fireberd wrote:
    I just installed an Antec True Power Trio 550 watt ATX power supply in my E510, which is the same case as yours.  Fits and works fine.

The Inspiron E531 uses a mATX style case its not the same style case as the Dimension E510 BTX style.It will except a standard ATX power supply though.Another member has used the Antec pictured below.

Vostro-460 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  (Gigabyte Z68 motherboard,Core i7-2600@4.1GHz,Noctua NH-U9B SE2,16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600,SeaSonic X-850 power supply,OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Solid State Drive.)

• fx4baja

It's good, that's there is only one optical drive, otherwise where would the wiring harness go. Under the hard drives, blocking the air intakes?

Hence, my mention about the power supplies for the i-530 and i-531, having a custom wiring harness.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• A lot of the clutter could be elimiated by using a modular power supply like the ones ive used in the Dimension 3000 cases which are as cramped for space.I will be using two optical drives and 2 hardrives with the Corsair when i get the Vostro.I believe i can get as clean of an install as the 3000 here.

Message Edited by fx4baja on 07-26-2007 07:47 PM

Vostro-460 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  (Gigabyte Z68 motherboard,Core i7-2600@4.1GHz,Noctua NH-U9B SE2,16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600,SeaSonic X-850 power supply,OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Solid State Drive.)

• shesagordie wrote: squibbon Check out SeaSonic and Antec power supplies.
    Seasonic 650 watt power supply ordered and on its way from NewEgg. Thanks for the input, everyone!
  • squibbon

Good Luck. :)

Please post a feedback, after you have installed the PSU.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001