Dimension 3000 motherboard upgrade - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Dimension 3000 motherboard upgrade

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dimension 3000 motherboard upgrade

• I have a dimension 3000 and am wondering what the best motherboard is that i can get to replace the original one. I want one that has a PCI-express slot. i have a sapphire x1650 pro graphics card that i would like to install and cant do so until i have a motherboard with a pci-express slot. what should i choose that wont require any other upgrades or replacements? something i can just swap in. thanks
  • There isn't anything that will drop into the case without other purchases.

No other Dell boards will fit the chassis - and any non-Dell board will require either major case modifications or a new case/power supply, plus a retail copy of XP.

To do what you want you need to build or buy basically a new system.
  • jsauder2

There are no motherboards with a PCIe slot that you can use, that will install in a D-3000 case, without major modifications and replacing the processor, heatsink, memory, hard drives and power supply, etc.

Dell systems use a motherboard with proprietary features.

The only one that you could use without major modifications, is a D-4600 motherboard, that has a AGP slot.

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Any standard mATX non Dell motherboard will fit without any case modifications(just some header connectors need to be changed),but not without some other upgrades and replacements including a new copy  of XP.This motherboard and cpu combo will let you use your current ram.

To be honest your going to come out cheaper going with one of the $399.00 Dimension dual core deals Dell has all the time.

Vostro-460 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  (Gigabyte Z68 motherboard,Core i7-2600@4.1GHz,Noctua NH-U9B SE2,16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600,SeaSonic X-850 power supply,OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Solid State Drive.)

• "Any standard mATX non Dell motherboard will fit without any case modifications"

How is it possible to modify those connectors, which are part of the case, without any case modifications?

The back panel won't fit the new board, either, and neither will the Dell heatsink assembly (particularly if you switch to an AMD CPU - an obsolete socket 939 one at that - in the process?

Basically the proposition is to trade one dead end for another.
  • I agree with the others that a "standard" motherboard will not fit in the 3000 (or any other Dell). With some Dell's you can do major case mechanical modifications and get a retail board to fit but it's not worth it.  I've seen micro tower cases advertised as low as $25.  

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS Z170, i7 6700K CPU,  Windows 10 64 bit Pro. SSD drive.  Sonar Platinum Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• I replaced the MB in my Dimension 2400 (which has the same chassis as the 3000) with a mATX mobo, although it took some time to get it to fit. The cooler was a very tight fit, but once everyhting was installed, things worked fine.

I doubt you can take just ANY motherboard. I used an ECS 661FX-m, which fit quite nicely. Other boards might not fit aswell.

• ejn63 wrote:

"How is it possible to modify those connectors, which are part of the case, without any case modifications?"
    Because the case and wireing are two seperate parts.Not one modification has to be done to the case itself.The case is standard mATX no matter how hard your finding that to be true.

"The back panel won't fit the new board either"
    That is why when you buy an aftermarket board they include a new rear I/O panel.Since these style Dimension cases are standard mATX the Dell I/O panel simply snaps out and the new one snaps in.
    " and neither will the Dell heatsink assembly"
    That is true once you swap to a non Dell motherboard you can not use the stock heatsink(why would you wont to?) but many non Dell heatsinks fit with no problems whatsoever.
    "particularly if you switch to an AMD CPU - an obsolete socket 939 one at that - in the process"
    I cant argue with that statement about socket 939 even though i have two in Dell Dimension 3000 cases right now working fine.That is also why i suggested going with one of the low price Dells not only would he gain the PCI Express but also be upgradeing to dual core cpu,DDR2 ram, better powersupply and have a warranty through Dell for less money.
    "Basically the proposition is to trade one dead end for another."
    You can upgrade to lastest Core2DUO,Socket AM2 cpu's and motherboards using this case since mATX is not dead.

CORE2DUO IN Dell Dimension 3000 case:

Amd socket 939 in a Dell Dimension 3000 case:

Vostro-460 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit  (Gigabyte Z68 motherboard,Core i7-2600@4.1GHz,Noctua NH-U9B SE2,16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600,SeaSonic X-850 power supply,OCZ 120GB Vertex 3 MAX IOPS Solid State Drive.)

• fireberd wrote:
    I agree with the others that a "standard" motherboard will not fit in the 3000 (or any other Dell). With some Dell's you can do major case mechanical modifications and get a retail board to fit but it's not worth it.  I've seen micro tower cases advertised as low as $25.  

Well than you would be wrong a "standard" motherboard will fit just fine in the Dell Dimension 3000 and all that use that style case.If you already have the case than you save $25.00 and probably have a better quality case than some cheap  $25.00 case.

• Cool, we've been told that it wouldn't work.  But, since you get the new back panel that would explain why there is no other "case modification" required.  But, you still had to rewire the front panel power switch connection.

I don't consider the Dell case on my E510 as being that "great".  It's a relatively chintzy made case.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS Z170, i7 6700K CPU,  Windows 10 64 bit Pro. SSD drive.  Sonar Platinum Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• I could not agree more with you.I just bought a E520 a few weeks ago and that is the most flimsy made Dell case i have ever owned.I much prefer the older 3000 style case for the quality and upgradeabilty that is why i have so many.

"But, you still had to rewire the front panel power switch connection."
    No not really you use the same wireing you just need to change out the hearder connectors to 1x or 2x connectors.Since there slip lock connector's no cutting and splicing is even required.

• steele_ wrote:
    I replaced the MB in my Dimension 2400 (which has the same chassis as the 3000) with a mATX mobo, although it took some time to get it to fit. The cooler was a very tight fit, but once everyhting was installed, things worked fine.

"I doubt you can take just ANY motherboard". I used an ECS 661FX-m, which fit quite nicely. Other boards might not fit aswell.

It has to be mATX form factor.

• A Dimension 4600 I motherboard would be a drop in replacement with AGP.
    You would need to change the back panel however as they are different.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
    Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

• SpeedStep wrote:
    A Dimension 4600 I motherboard would be a drop in replacement with AGP.
    You would need to change the back panel however as they are different.

The video card that he has and wants to reuse is PCI-E.

• Here's a Dimension 3000 upgraded with an ASRock 960GM/U3S3, Phenom II X4 945 with Cooler Master Hyper 101 heatsink, 8gb DDR3, Sapphire 5670 DDR5 video card, 2tb hard drive and 120gb SSD. The power switch has been replaced with a generic unit having longer wiring bought from Directron, the USB connector has been extended with a cable made from FrontX parts and the front audio port has been rewired (with factory crimps) to standard Azalea 2x5. 

As it turns out, the power switch is quite generic and slips out, allowing a replacement with longer wiring to be inserted. Replacement kits (with power switch, hard drive and power LED) are available on eBay from sellers in China (where the parts are made) for as little as $3 including shipping.

This thread ranks high on a Google search, so I thought I'd update it.