Limited Warranty vs Complete Care

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Limited Warranty vs Complete Care

• I just received my E1505 with a 4 year limited warranty but now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and also get Complete Care. What is the main differences between Dell's Limited warranty and Complete Care? Would Complete Care cover about anything you could imagine happening to your laptop?
  • mccoady, 

Bingo.  Complete Care would cover any accidental damage done to your computer, be it drops, spills, backing over it with your truck, or running it through a helicopter rotor.  As long it is wasn't done intentionally, it'll be covered.  The only things not covered by Complete Care would be fire, theft, flood (sometimes popularly referred to as "acts of God"), and normal wear and tear.  The standard warranty does not cover accidental damage.

Hope that helps,
    Todd

Message Edited by DELL-Todd on 02-22-2007 11:09 AM

Message Edited by DELL-Todd on 02-22-2007 11:12 AM

• Complete Care coverage chart here:
  • Todd does that mean Dell wouldn't cover my screen if it got cracked with my limited warranty, I mean how would they determine whether it was dropped or not? With Complete Care do they cover cracked cases? If you were in my shoes would you feel secure with a 4 year limited warranty or would you opt to also get Complete Care? Do you know if you can even add on Complete Care after the purchase?
  • mccoady,

You'd need Complete Care to have that hypothetical cracked screen covered.  If I were in your shoes, I would definitely purchase Complete Care, especially for a laptop.  You can purchase it after the fact.  You can reach them at 88.901.3355 x. 7266250.  If you've got a copy of your order invoice, keep it handy because they'll be needing your customer number or order number.  If you don't have those numbers, they'll be able to find you in the system using the phone number you gave when you initially placed the order.

Thanks,
    Todd

• Todd may I bother you to clarify one last question. I read where someone on this forum had a cracked case and it wasn't covered by his warranty, he didn't mention which warranty he had. So does Complete Care cover cracked cases? I'm going to call the number you listed right now to order Complete Care, thank you for the help.
  • mccoady,

Complete Care covers cracked cases as well. 

Todd

Message Edited by DELL-Todd on 02-22-2007 12:49 PM

• I bought a laptop on ebay that is only four months old. When checking the service tag on the Dell website, I see that it carries a complete care warranty for over three more years. Does this warranty follow the laptop to me? What do I need to do to make sure I have this warranty if possible.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Bill

Dell Vostro 3750 I5, 8 GB, 240 GB Seagate 600 SSD HD, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Office 2013 Professional Plus with Business Contact Manager

• bicyclebill1,

The warranty that was purchased with the unit can be transfered to you.  You just have to make sure ownership of it was moved to your name.  I believe there is a way to do this online, but your best  bet would be to call customer care at 800.901.3355 x.7268938.  Be sure to reference that  service tag number.

Thanks,
    Todd

• Todd --- I was talking with Tech Support on an issue today, and I'm within the 1 yr limited warranty.  He said it was a motherboard issue, so they are sending me a box, and I'll return to computer in the box and with 8 - 10 days my problem should be fixed.  I didn't extend my warranty, so it will expire in June 2009.  The tech at the end of the call offered me an option to buy "Complete Care" coverage up to 4 years for just over $100.  I questioned him about getting "Complete Care" without extending my Limited Warranty...and he said no problem.  He carefully explained that manufactures defects after June would not be covered, but accidential damage would.  This doesn't make sense that this is an option.  Can you confirm if I can purchase Complete Care Warranty today for 4 years while still in Limited Warranty...and I don't have to extend the Limited Warranty?

Thanks,

Tom

• Ok I have a question for anyone to answer.  My friends charger just stopped working about last week, and mine just did the same about 30 minutes ago.  It was working fine and then it just quit on me.  I have the complete warranty and everything and I was wondering if that was covered under the warranty??  Please as you could imagine I don't have very much time since i can no longer charge my computer.

Thanks,

Zac

• Hi ThugsLife13, Your warranty will cover you, but you will have to contact dell support.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• I will say to anyone that is looking to purchase either an dextended warranty or the complete care to take that money and put it to the side. If for some reason the computer that you purchased goes bad to go and purchase a new one. It is faster than sending it in to Dell to have them tell you it is broken or needs to be replaced. I have been purchasing Dell's for over 10 years and I thought getting both was a great deal until the time I actually needed to use the warranty/complete care and I have now been sitting without a computer for over 2 months and being told that it can be another 2-4 weeks before I get a replacement. I spent $2800 on an XPS laptop the M1710. I put the complete care package. lojack, and the extended warranty. All costing about $500-$600. If I took that money and put it in a CD account for the past 2 years I would have had enough to go back and purchase another computer. The People that you talk to are either rude, do not listen, tell you lies, or transfer you so that they do not have to worry about there que times. At Dell you get rated on how long you are on the phone with a customer and the longer you are on the phone the lower you productivity looks to them. You then become a liability to the company. I would strongly encourage you to either save the money or make a purchase at locations such as Best Buy where you can talk to a person face to face and local to you. I feel that I have not only purchased my last computer from Dell but I am also wanting others to be warned that the Dell INC. of 2000-2005 is not longer here.

• what is the cost of complete coverage if i take the complete coverage after 5 months of purchase

•  prabhathkamarapu

For the cost of extending your warranty, you need to contact Dell directly HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell