Hooking up an Xbox 360 to a Dell Laptop

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Hooking up an Xbox 360 to a Dell Laptop

• Problem:
    I have an Xbox 360, I want to hook it up to a Dell Inspiron E1705, with it being an HD monitor, using a VGA cable..

What is the difference between the 17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display and 17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife options?

Also, do I need a 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory or a 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce Go 7900 GS graphics card for my laptop display to be in HD? Or just the Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 graphics card alright? I hope so...

THANKS
  • Laptop displays cannot be used as a monitor for another device. Edit: As to video cards, all are capable of "HD" resolutions (i.e. they can all drive the UltraSharp display at 1920x1200, which is slightly above 1080p resolution), but most likely only the 7900GS will work well (if at all) for playback of HD content. BTW, while you cannot use a laptop as a display device for your Xbox 360, if you are interested in HD-DVD playback, the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon drive is an external USB device that will connect to a laptop. With Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra and a couple of extra drivers, you can use your laptop for playback from the HD-DVD drive. I own an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive for use with my E1705 but no Xbox 360. :) Given that my older 7800 Go can barely handle it, I'm positive neither the Intel GMA950 nor the ATI X1400 will handle it, the 7900GS should do fine. Sorry for the lack of paragraph separation, the forums seem to be removing all formatting from this post for some reason.

Message Edited by Entropy42 on 02-19-2007 09:06 AM
  • Alright, thanks for telling me about that. I'll buy a cheaper laptop, then buy a LCD monitor, which brings me to this...

Is the Dell E207WFP LCD monitor in HD? And what resolutions (e.i. 720p, 1081i..) does it carry, all I see on the website is computer resolutions...

THANKS for the response..
  • "Laptop displays cannot be used as a monitor for another device."

Well thats wrong.  Thats like saying you cant hook an Xbox to your TV.

Laptops can be used as a TV. And therefore CAN BE USED as a monitor.
    Fuzzy and not great picture but it does work.

Just a matter of which one you get.
    The XBOX can have a TV modulator so you could use a PCMCIA or USB
    TV Tuner and get it to work.
    How well it looks well thats a totally different issue.
    Its not going to look good but it would work.

Using RF vs Svideo is going to make a huge difference in how it looks.

The TV wonder does have composite and Svideo in.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5123

This lists the resolutions it says it supports.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xbox360/highdefdetails.htm
    http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/

This is a (possibly not complete) list of resolutions the VGA cable supports.

It looks like the 360 doesn't support any of the HD widescreen resolutions that that monitor supports. You'd be stuck running in a 4:3 resolution (if both lists are complete). For the 360, you'd want to get a widescreen monitor that supports something like 1280x768.
  • OK, so can I or can't I, connect my Xbox 360, not a 360 HD player, an Xbox 360, using a VGA cable to a Dell E1705 laptop monitor or some other kind of laptop monitor?

THANKS

• SpeedStep wrote:
    "Laptop displays cannot be used as a monitor for another device."
    Well thats wrong. Thats like saying you cant hook an Xbox to your TV.
    Laptops can be used as a TV. And therefore CAN BE USED as a monitor.
    Fuzzy and not great picture but it does work.
    Just a matter of which one you get.
    The XBOX can have a TV modulator so you could use a PCMCIA or USB
    TV Tuner and get it to work.
    How well it looks well thats a totally different issue.
    Its not going to look good but it would work.
    Using RF vs Svideo is going to make a huge difference in how it looks.
    The TV wonder does have composite and Svideo in.

He's interested in using it as a full-blown monitor (including operation at HD resolutions) - laptop displays (or at least most of them, the XPS M2010 might be somewhat different since it's more of a "portable modular system" than a laptop) can't function in that manner. They cannot ever be used directly as a display device, and when used with a seperate capture/tuner device you sacrifice quality (limiting yourself to 480i) and potentially video latency (All USB-based capture devices will compress the video, which will introduce 1-2 seconds of latency making it useless for gaming for example. I believe all ExpressCard capture devices on the market also do hardware encoding - great for recording TV but bad for gaming.)

• mr_america_117 wrote:
    OK, so can I or can't I, connect my Xbox 360, not a 360 HD player, an Xbox 360, using a VGA cable to a Dell E1705 laptop monitor or some other kind of laptop monitor?
    THANKS

The short answer is no, you can't use a 360 on a laptop-only a REGULAR external monitor. Laptops don't let you plug in VGA devices like the 360.

For the 360, you need either a regular computer monitor that accepts VGA, or an HDTV.

Use those links I gave earlier to compare the resolutions the 360 supports to resolutions on the monitor you're looking at. You'd want a monitor that supports something like 1280x768 which is basically the resolution the 360 uses.

The long answer is, as Entropy said, you CAN buy a device that will let you connect a game system to a laptop, but you'll be limited to only 480i (because that's all those devices support), so the 360 will look terrible.

Entropy, the latency isn't quite THAT bad on all devices. Adaptec's Gamebridge is less than a second, as are ElGato's EyeTV devices for the Mac. There's still some latency though.