Video Card on Poweredge 840 - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Video Card on Poweredge 840

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Video Card on Poweredge 840

• Hi pepole !

It would like to know if it exists some form to install video card or disactivate the onboard video card on PowerEdge 840 system.

Thank's for all.

Marcelo
  • I have a poweredge 830 and there is a bios setting for video; however, to install an upgraded video card is a challenge, as the PCI-e slots I have are 1x and 8x lane. Most video cards are 16x lanes and they won't fit and there is a Matrox PCI-X video card for $699... holy moly!
  • I had an old pci-e 16x card laying around (ati radeon x1800 xl 256megs... )  I bought a pci-e 1x to 16x adapter, and a sata power to 6-pin power adapter... plugged it in and it worked.  There is no way to turn off the on-board card that I can tell, but it switches to the new card... here's the wierd part... I figured if the 1x to 16 x is working, why not try using the 8x, so I also bought a 8x pci-e to 16x pci-e adapter... tried to plug that in to the pci-e 8x slot... no go.  Just a black screen.  Not sure why that didn't work.

btw, I also modified the es1000 ati driver to use catalyst... (before trying another card)... I don't think this is necessary if you're going to use another card, and it showed only minimal performance boost.  The pci-e 16x card running through 1x is good enough to play 1080p videos and that's all I needed really.  I'm using this machine as a living room media computer.