Dell Dimension 4550 CPU Upgrade...

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dell Dimension 4550 CPU Upgrade...

• Are all the mobo's in 4550 the same and if so what is the fastest CPU I can upgrade to? If not, what mobo from Dell can I put in it that will fit case/all connections 100% so that I might get a CPU with HT support and faster RAM as well? Thank you and pls reply ASAP!!! Thank you again!
  • magboy wrote:
    Are all the mobo's in 4550 the same and if so what is the fastest CPU I can upgrade to? If not, what mobo from Dell can I put in it that will fit case/all connections 100% so that I might get a CPU with HT support and faster RAM as well? Thank you and pls reply ASAP!!! Thank you again!
    The D-4550 has a Socket 478.

Use P-4 Northwood 512k cache processors. CPU max is a 3.06/533 P4, 512k

You cannot use P-4 Prescotts, 1mb cache, or the 256k Celeron-D, no 800MHz FSB, on the D-4550 motherboard.

More info, here,

Bev.

===================================================
    Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Just confirming that a 533FSB P4 3.06Ghz w/HT (((WILL))) work with my 4550 mobo and also, do I 100% have to replace the heatsink for use with the CPU listed above? Thank you!

Message Edited by magboy on 01-29-200709:14 PM

• magboy

Yes, the processor should be fine and also, replace the heatsink. www.powerleap.com  makes a good dual pipe heatsink for the D-4550 @ $19.95.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Three  more questions and I promise I'm done:smileyvery-happy:

1. Do I need a new heat sink and fan or just a new heat sink and if a fan too, how and where would it plug into the mobo??? No 3 prong fan connectors on the 4550 mobo.

2. Can you please tell me the 1GB RAM sticks(brand/model) that work with the 4550 mobo 100,000% so that I might have a max of 2GB?

3. What is the highest watt Dell power supply(more than 350) Dell makes that will work with my 4550 mobo?

This is my WoW(world of warcraft) PC so I want to max it out so I can buy a better video card than the one I have in it now(agp/geforce6200oc/256mb) so that I can turn up the video settings in game
    higher than they are now.

Message Edited by magboy on 01-31-2007 11:07 AM
  • magboy wrote:
    Three  more questions and I promise I'm done:smileyvery-happy:

1. Do I need a new heat sink and fan or just a new heat sink and if a fan too, how and where would it plug into the mobo??? No 3 prong fan connectors on the 4550 mobo.

Yes, buy the heatsink from Powerleap and use the exsisting proprietary Dell case/processor fan.

2. Can you please tell me the 1GB RAM sticks(brand/model) that work with the 4550 mobo 100,000% so that I might have a max of 2GB?

www.crucial.com and use their memory selector/scanner.  Note the limits on memory the D-4550 will support. Not certain if the D-4550 will support a 1gb module.

3. What is the highest watt Dell power supply(more than 350) Dell makes that will work with my 4550 mobo?

Dell does not make larger than a 250w for your system, You will need to buy an aftermarket power supply as you want a 350w + unit.

For a D-4550 compatible 410w power supply go here,

This is my WoW(world of warcraft) PC so I want to max it out so I can buy a better video card than the one I have in it now(agp/geforce6200oc/256mb) so that I can turn up the video settings in game
    higher than they are now.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• LOL so I have yet another question on the same subject that follows as:

Will this CPU work with my 4550 mobo: Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors - M 3.06 GHz (SL726) ?
  • magboy  

No.

You can only use a Northwood, P-4, 533/400MHz, 512k cache and 128k for Celeron.

The maximum processor for a D-4550, is a Northwood, P-4, 3.06/533MHz, 512k cache.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• I bought a 3.06 533FSB northwood core cpu with HT and it runs great with BIOS A08. Currently, I am looking to upgrade ram and graphics card. Others have had some success with pc3200 ram in a 533FSB dimension 4550 and it does support upto 2 gig with a 533FSB--even though the spec's say otherwise. Others have had problems with graphics card upgrades as the dimension 4550 is underpowered at 250W so the powersupply upgrade will become essential if one is going all out to upgrade their 4550. thanks for all the tips :)
  • Where did you buy your P-4 Northwood 512k cache processors. CPU max is a 3.06/533 P4, 512k?
  • Yes, I understand the Northwood P4 3.06 533FSB 478pin 512 Cache is the fastest processor for this motherboard. If you upgrade to current BIOS it will even allow you to use HT :) Finding a processor is easy enough on E-bay but they are not produced anymore so I doubt you could find one in a store. You are looking for an intel sl6pg or intel sl6s5 processor. The first is best but the cost is prohibitive. The second is just as fast but is a step C processor while the first is a step D. I confess I am not sure what the difference in performance would be. My sl6s5 chip I bought used on e-bay for $157.00 CND and have had no problems.
  • That's 132.oo in dollars.... I don't think it is worth to spend more than $80.00 if I am going to upgrade the CPU since it is an old box. I settled to get same CPU but 2.8Ghz in newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116215&ATT=19-116-215&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r . But can anyone comment on this chip, it says socket 478 but in the description, it mentioned this LGA 775 so is chip going to work on my dell 4550?