Dell 8400 motherboard...

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dell 8400 motherboard...

• Hello.  i'm trying to replace my motherboard on my dell dimension 8400 and was wondering if anyone else has went through this process.  It's having problems playing world of warcraft and a friend narrowed it down to the motherboard but he just got deployed for 180 days.  I don't know if it's atx, micro atx, etc.  I'm mainly trying to get a decent with handling games.  I've replaced everything except the motherboard and heard that it gives issues with some people too.  if anyone can help me out i'd appreciatte it so much.  i've been looking on another site but dont know if i can post links here, it might be considered advertising.  Please though any information to help me buy the right one would be so helpful thank you for your time. :)
  • It's a proprietary motherboard, you can find replacements here:

Or call Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-357-3355

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

GTX 260 C216 @ 711/1533/1151

Antec TPN 750w

• I probably sound ditzy but when i go onto the site you gave how do i know which ones are the right ones? i really wanted to buy one, hope this doesnt get locked or anything from tigerdirect.com... was looking at: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2366122&CatId=1533 is there any reason this will not work or any info you can give me to get the right one, thank you :)
  • The one you have linked to will not work.
    At Centrix, click on Dell original parts> Dell motherboard>Dell motherboards/Dimension and scroll down till you see the 8400 mb.
    There are two, 1 with onboard sound and 1 without, choose the one you need.

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

Antec TPN 750w

• ugh, ok getting more lost here.  if i bought the oem motherboard that wouldnt fix anything, what i'm trying to find is an aftermarket one thats better for gaming, thats all.. seems like a never ending journey this whole week.
  • Again Dell motherboards are proprietary,they are not standard ATX or BTX, while there have been some people who have managed to use aftermarket motherboards, it was not without lots of modifications to the case and or board.

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

Antec TPN 750w

• so your saying i need a new computer?? ... i cant wait till i dont need this comp any more i'm going to destroy it in so many ways, what a headache... thanks for the help, i think i know what i need to do now.   :)
  • Sent you a pm, you don't need a new computer, the 8400 is fully capable of running WoW. Post the problem you are encountering in the Gaming section and you should be able to get it taken care of.:smileyhappy:

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

Antec TPN 750w

• yea ill try that hopefully it works this is just taking up all my time and becoming a headache...
  • proudlilmama

Here are some of the problems of installing a non Dell motherboad in a Dell case.

Both Dell motherboards and cases have proprietary features. You may have problems installing Dell motherboard into a ATX case, or a ATX motherboard into an Dell case.

The rear I/O panel may not line up correctly, so you could have to modify that.  Non-Dell cases and motherboards, don't have the same front panel wiring connnectors that Dell uses.

Dell uses a proprietary ribbon connector between the front panel and motherboard, whereas standard ATX cases use Molex style connectors, you'll have to figure out how to rewire the front control panel and USB ports, because Dell has never published the details of the pin-outs.

You will require a new CPU fan, heatsink and motherboard retention bracket, as Dell's are proprietary units.

As Dell's OEM copy of XP is tied to their BIOS, unless a Dell motherboard is used, you will have to call Microsoft and request reactivation, who may or may not, activate the OEM copy, if not, then add the cost of buying a new copy of XP to the upgrade.

Can a standard motherboard be installed in a Dell case, yes, it can, but it will not be easy and be prepared for a lot of aggro.

Note.  There's a white label on the motherboard, next the PCI slots, showing the model that's installed in the system.

There are two models of motherboards used for D-8400, one with the 925x chipset and the other with the 925xe chipset, either will work in your system.  Both models of motherboards have intergrated sound. 

Bev.

Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
    Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell