Dimension E510 Power Supply Replacement

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dimension E510 Power Supply Replacement

• I've seen other power supply's referenced here, but not this model and I've heard too much about needing proprietary power supplies to be comfortable. 

I've got a Dim E510 and it's got a 305W power supply that's going bad.  I'd like to replace it but do I have to go through Dell or can I use an off the shelf PS with the correct PIN cord to the mother board?

Thanks...
  • I've seen some posts about replacements that will work with the E510 (I have an E510 too).  I was going to bookmark them in case I needed a new power supply but unfortunately didn't.  Do a search on this section and possibly the General Hardware sections.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• any standard atx psu should work.
  • The power supply must have SATA power connectors.  Many ATX style power supplies do not. 

Also, consider this a BTX form machine.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Macojones,

Any standard ATX most definitely will not work. Be careful.

There are several people who have upgraded and this PSU, the OCZ PowerStream 520 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711002 works just fine. Read the 110 reviews - many from happy Dell 5100/E510,520 owners.

If you run the advanced search at the top left of this page as suggested already, you will see many that use this PSU successfully.

Good luck.
  • yeah ive read all over this forum that the ocz modstream works perfect
  • Yeppers, I recently installed an OCZ Modstream 520w on my E510 and it works perfectly.  The installation was a breeze, other than the cords being a bit tough and hard to bend.  The screw-hole pattern on the back of the PSU matches that of the E510 case exactly.  The Modstream also gives you a bunch of cables and cable ties to tidy everything up inside the case.  Definately an awesome buy! 

E510
    Pentium D 930 3.0 Ghz [2x 2MB] L2 Cache
    Intel 945G M.B.
    1 Gig DDR2 533MHz
    160GB Western Digital HD
    LeadTek Winfast 7900GS w/custom cooling
    SoundBlaster X-fi Xtreme Sound card
    OCZ Modstream 520w PSU
    19" UltraSharp Digital Flat Panel LCD
    Windows XP SP2
  • Thanks for all the input.  The OCZ Modstream 520w was a bit more than I wanted to spend.  I ended up getting a ThermalTake 430W PS from my local Microcenter which was about half the price.  The screw holes lined up perfectly and the install was very easy.  The only "glitch" if you will is that the E510 has a notch at the top of the case to hold the factory PS, and obviously the aftermarket didn't match up.  I was able to install around this. 
  • You haven't really upgraded, according to the Dell moderator the 305 psu has an actual output of
    400 watts ,but it also provide's 22 amps on the +12 volt rail the Thermaltake while providing more watts only has an 18 amp output.

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

GTX 260 C216 @ 711/1533/1151

Antec TPN 750w

• hello all,

I'm now in the same boat, standard atx supply even with sata conn doesn't work, flashing amber power LED.

any other options out there? perhaps something at Fry's you can recommend?

• Fry's carries it:

5997094 -- Thermaltake TR2 430W ATX 12V 2.2 Power Supply W0070RUC

$40

• Not really. I obtained an Antec 550 ATX12V and had a little problem mounting but the real problem was that the motherboard connector was not compatible with the Dell e510 motherboard.

• Sorry my reply was meant for the comment that any standard ATX PSU would work

• JoeSandman

Not really. I obtained an Antec 550 ATX12V and had a little problem mounting but the real problem was that the motherboard connector was not compatible with the Dell e510 motherboard.

JoeSandman

Could please post a link to the Antec PSU that was installed in your Dimension e510/5150.

The e510 motherboard requires a P-1 24-pin and P-2 4-pin power connectors.

The 5150/E510 systems do not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most generic ATX power supplies with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector.

As the 5150/E510 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used and can be purchased from most local or online computer stores.

A power supply with a minimum of two SATA power connectors is needed.

Details of the e510/5150 PSU power connectors are here, listed in the Technical Overview Section:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-5150x_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell