XPS Gen 3: CPU upgrading

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

XPS Gen 3: CPU upgrading

• Hi,

I want to upgrade my XPS Gen 3 (Intel 925X chipset) with a "new" Pentium 4 3,6 Ghz Model 661 cpu but this does not work. When I switch the power on nothing happens. All four LED on the backside remains off, no beeping, only the drives and fans has power.

Should this cpu work with an XPS Gen 3?

Regards,
    Manuel
  • I am pretty sure it will did you check to see if your BIOS is up to date?
  • Hi,

I have the newest bios for my XPS Gen 3 installed, version A07.

Is there any way to get a newer one (beta)?

I searched on intel.com for a compatibility chart between my chipset 925X and the Pentium 4 modell 661, but found absolutely nothing :-(

Regards,
    Manuel
  • The Pentium 3.8 GHz processor is the max you can put in a XPS Gen 3 system. The Dell BIOS version A07 is the last one Dell will ever provide for the Gen 3 (and Gen 4). And because the Gen 3 motherboard is a Dell modified Intel based board, you can't use any other BIOS or chipset driver.

Cosmos S case, Evga 750i FTW Motherboard, PCP&C 860W Power Supply, E8400 OC'd to 3.9 GHz, Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, Dual Evga 260-216 SC, 4 GB RAM, 260 GB HD, Dell U2410 IPS monitor, Windows XP/SP3.

• Hi,

the Pentium 4 model 661 is a 3,6 Ghz cpu. I have tested the cpu in another (newer) computer with another chipset and it works perfectly.

What is the problem? The 65nm process and the lower cpu voltage level, the speedstep functionality, the bigger cache?

I dont know. The speed of 3,6 Ghz seems not to be the problem...

Regards,
    Manuel
  • You need to understand the Gen 3 motherboard is a DELL modified, intel-based, proprietary motherboard made by Foxconn. The only processors this motherboard, chipset and BIOS will recognize are the 500 series, and the 3.6 GHz model 560 specifically if that's what you want to upgrade to. 

Cosmos S case, Evga 750i FTW Motherboard, PCP&C 860W Power Supply, E8400 OC'd to 3.9 GHz, Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, Dual Evga 260-216 SC, 4 GB RAM, 260 GB HD, Dell U2410 IPS monitor, Windows XP/SP3.

• Only the 670 and 660 will work in the Gen3. Nothing ending in a 6x1 or 6x2 will work. Been there, done that. Search was your friend!
  • I belive both the 500 and 600 series cpu's will work in the Generation 3 and 4, I have a 3.6 in my generation 4 and its the 500 seriese one ..I use the latest chipsets from Intel for the 925x, I try and stay away from Dells drivers and chipsets, havent had any problems all my drivers are from hardware vendors not Dell

• VCraig wrote:
    The only processors this motherboard, chipset and BIOS will recognize are the 500 series, and the 3.6 GHz model 560 specifically if that's what you want to upgrade to. 

This is definitly wrong. Thanks to clark_carty I choose to get an Pentium 4 Modell 660 with 3,6 GHz. This CPU works absolut perfect in my XPS GEN 3. Even speedstep is working!

Fazit: The XPS Gen 3 will also recognize the 600 series and not only the 500 series, the only problem seems to be with the 661/662 and 672, which does not work with the XPS Gen 3.

Regards,
    Manuel

• m.fischer wrote:

VCraig wrote:
    The only processors this motherboard, chipset and BIOS will recognize are the 500 series, and the 3.6 GHz model 560 specifically if that's what you want to upgrade to. 

This is definitly wrong. Thanks to clark_carty I choose to get an Pentium 4 Modell 660 with 3,6 GHz. This CPU works absolut perfect in my XPS GEN 3. Even speedstep is working!

Fazit: The XPS Gen 3 will also recognize the 600 series and not only the 500 series, the only problem seems to be with the 661/662 and 672, which does not work with the XPS Gen 3.

Regards,
    Manuel

Thank you for posting this, It only backs up what I was saying. Dell told me the 500 and 600 would work ........:smileywink:
  • Sorry about that. I stand corrected.

• I think I might be able to solve this... it's because theres a difference between the 6XX series with the ones ending in "0" or "1".... for example a 660 is a Prescott 2M... meaning its like a regular prescott but with a 2MB cache and 64bit but its still 90nm... the 661 is a "CederMill" processor... meaning a completly different archetexture thats 65nm...

Therefore the max processor you can put in a Gen 3... and i think its the same for a Gen 4 is the P4 3.8 670 HT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors

I'm not sure if this is completly accurate... just what I think might be the problem... you should try calling dell to confirm what I'm saying...

Hopes this helps!
  • Hey Clark just wondering are you sure that the Intel P4 670 3.8 GHz will work in my Dell XPS gen3 925x motherboard?