Enhanced Halt State: Yes
    Execute Disable Bit: Yes
    Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes
    Intel(R) Extended Memory 64 Technology: Yes
    Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
    Reported System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz

Can I add the following as a second processor.

Box Order Code

BX80546KG2800EP

sSpec Number

sl7pd

Processor Frequency

2.80 GHz

CPUID String

0F41H

Package Type

604 pin

Core Voltage

1.25V-1.400V

Bus Speed

800 MHz

Thermal Guideline

103.0W

Core Stepping

E0

Thermal Spec

72?C

BX80546KG2800EA, BX80546KG2800EA, L2 Cache Size

1 MB

Manufacturing Technology

90 nm

BX80546KG2800EA, BX80546KG2800EA, L2 Cache Speed

2.80 GHz

Bus/Core Ratio

Spec Update

http://developer.intel.com/design/xeon/documentation.htm

I tried to buy the same one from Dell but they refered me to Fox Micro whic is asking $799.

If the heatsink does not work where can I find a similar one as the Dell D4730  heatsink .

• Your research matches mine exactly.  I've just purchased a single processor 1800 and am looking to add a second processor and some more memory.

Your info is correct, but be sure to check that the actual chip is the SL7PD or SL7TB.  The stepping code for these is EO.  HOWEVER, you can buy the BX80546KG2800 boxed processor and get DO stepping instead, depending on when the box was manufactured.  You MUST have the EO to match your server so you have to make sure to read the box that the chip comes in.  (The DO stepping numbers are SL7DV and SL7HV - you don't want these.)  Your post says that you are looking at the correct one.

Best price I can find is about $232.  I've seen them cheaper, but the sites all seem to be "out of stock".  Where did you find the one you're looking at?

Also - the chip comes in three heatsink varieties.  The "BX" numbers end with EA (Active Heatsink - electric fans), EP (Passive Heatsink - the one you need), and EU for the single unit processor/heatsink.

I've found the SL7PD, SL7TB chip on eBay and other places, but they don't always come with heatsink and I'm not sure if additional ducting is needed to complete the additional chip.  Do you know the proper heatsink number (it's included in the box but if you buy the chip separately you'll need to buy one.)   Also, do you know if there is a need for additional ducting/baffling to cool the new chip & heatsink?

Good luck with your server.

Message Edited by classicmark on 01-06-2006 08:40 AM

• Bought the entire 2.8 second processor kit from Dell Parts, including chip, heatsink, and VRM for $260.  Dell sales rep matched price of NextComputer.  (Wouldn't match some others, but they were out of stock anyway.)  Kit from NextComputer (BX80546KG2800EP-SL7PD) did NOT include VRM, so I think the deal was okay.

:robotwink:

Message Edited by classicmark on 01-06-2006 08:51 AM

• Thanks so much for the info. I called Dell again and they mached the mached the same price.

By the way, BX80546KG2800EP is almost the same as our D7589 from dell except for the heatsink  4730  (Dell part number).

D7589 PROCESSOR, 80546K, 2.8G, 1M, XEON NOCONA, 800, E0.

By the way,  www.pagecomputer.com  has the lowest price for the retail box at $225.71.

• Glad it worked out.  I had e-mailed Page Computer to see if they really had the chip in stock and they never replied.  But it wouldn't have had the VRM anyway.  Wish me luck.  I wish you the same.
  • do any of you know if th SL7ZG will work with the PE 1800?  Can you buy the Dell Heat Sink?

Thanks!

• It should work if you current CPU has the same spec SL7ZG . 

One of the sales persons gave me a quote but the others would sell only the CPU kit.

I ended up buying the CPU kit because they matched the price for the Intel retail Box.

• you guys in the states are so lucky, dell looks after you. here in the UK they have no 2nd processor upgrades for us in the parts section!!

oh well keep looking on ebay!!

don't suppose any of you guys want to do a fellow dell'er a favour and buy it for us??....lol :)

• hey guys so i finally have a chance to get the above mentioned processor with a heatsink from a mates system part number: D4730

what i want to know is,  will i definetely need the vrm? some mention also went to a shroud?

please help, thx

• It's your lucky day -

There is no VRM (at least there wasn't in my system).
    There is no need for an additional or different shroud.
    If you have the processor and the heatsink, you're about 45 seconds from being finished!
    Just remember to pull up the lockarms before installing the processor to avoid bending pins.
    Push the arms down into the locked position after the socket has accepted the processor.
    My heatsink came with heatsink compound already applied.  If yours does not, you might want to apply a little (very little) when you attach the heatsink to the processor.  It creates a seal between the two pieces that aids in cooling.  You can buy the stuff cheap (at least in the US) at Radio Shack.  I'm guessing that any computer shop would have it.
    Good Luck
    Mark

Message Edited by classicmark on 03-08-2006 02:08 PM

• oh WOW, cheers Mark :smileyvery-happy:

thankyou mate