Optiplex GX150 Tower Form Factor - For Enterprise - Forum - For Enterprise - Dell Community

Optiplex GX150 Tower Form Factor

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Optiplex GX150 Tower Form Factor

• Hello I have a Optiplex GX150 Tower Form Factor service Tag 7QL3T01 with a intel celeron 900 MHZ 128 intergrated KB
    installed memory (so far) 128 MB video memory 1 mb and display cache 4 mb (onboard)
    it states that my pci slots and my agp slots are enabled but I don't see any agp slots on board.
    I want to upgrade the video card from onboard video so that I can use the computer for gaming like for sims2 etc.
    please tell me what video card will work in my computer, I have tried AGP video cards but they wouldn't fit in the computer.
    So I am going to get an PCI card but I need to know which one will work. I am adding more memory next week for the computer.
     I have read alot of things off this forums but nothing really worked for me even though I didn't jump out and go purchase all the video card stated lol. Anyway, Please help!

• There may be an AIMM memory module in the AGP slot. Tower form factor can take Regular AGP so you must not have a Tower but rather a slimline desktop.

Dell 59TJG 4MB AGP AIMM Module

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
    Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

• Yes I think that is what I have but what does it mean? What graphic card do I need?  OR can I remove that and put the graphic card in there?
    The thing that is the brown slot in my computer states that its a smart card? what is that? please tell me
  • You pull that out and put in a REAL graphics card.

The Geforce FX5500 AGP cards are a good first step.

If you have $430 to spend then you can put a Geforce 6800GT OC with a New power supply.

Typical Geforce FX5500 AGP is Under $100 more like $78 or less.

Won't kill your wallet or your power supply.

• The 6800 will most likely not work. The P4 systems in the same tower chassis have a more powerful powersupply, but the GX150 tower only has a 200W PSU. Tho this may be underrated, the 6800 is recommended with a 300W powersupply. A good 250 may work, but a good 200W has a good chance of being underpowered.

Also, a 6800 is a powerful card. Putting it in a P3 system is really a waste as the videocard will be waiting on the processor as it's not fast enough.

Recent testing has shown that the videocard is usually still the bottleneck, but that's when comparing a 2.8GHz (or equivalent AMD processor) to a 3.6GHz or so, but a P3 (1.4GHz is max speed for P3) is going to definately be the bottleneck if you equip the system with a 6800.

Member since 2003

• Dev Mgr wrote:
    The 6800 will most likely not work.

As I said you need to replace the power supply but I guess somebody isnt reading.  The 6800 GT OC DOES WORK when you buy it along with new power supply.  Which is why I said $430. The GX150 SKYDIVE tower chassis is the same as the GX240,260,270, and some versions of the 280.  I have also used the motherboard tray from a GX150 and put the Riser slots sidecar and a GX260 motherboard into a GX150 tower case.  Worked fine.  Front panel and all cables "matched up".  Audio cables plug and play, etc.   Don't make stuff up if you don't know. I have both a BFG Geforce FX5500 OC and a BFG 6800GT OC.  They work fine in GX150, Dimension 4100,4300,4400, GX240, GX260, GX270.  The 280 can use a 6800GT OC but it needs to be the PCI Version.  Same goes for the 5500 must be PCI vs AGP to work but it DOES work. 

• 9 years later update....

If you want your old GX-150 to go Windows 7, might cost you about $70 at todays prices on auction sites, and not much real work. Find a 0U1324 Motherboard for about $30 with a 2.8HT P4 complete but missing only ram. This MB has 4 Ram slots (which can use old leftover 512MBs DDRs for dirt cheap, about $15 for 2GB if you have to buy them if you don't already have many laying around,) a 0T0259 Powersupply (210W w/ 12V 4pin) for about $14-$15, and a SHORT FORM GeForce 128MB FX5200 AGP with the DVI dual-monitor connector for about $10 (you may need a DVI to dual VGA cable or adapter.) Set the BIOS for automatic on video, and away you go with win7ULT, with a GB LAN that DOES do Google Earth. You can always use the Nvidia 6200/256MB regular PCI card for much better performance which runs $20-$30 used for that video card. Makes it still under $90 total with that card. Runs well even on the stock 40GB drive. If you need more room than that, you can always use a (your GX-150 is not USB1.1 anymore,) USB2.0 external drive, or find a network drive.

The stock PSU is for the P3 and doesn't have the 12V 4 pin, and the 0U1324 doesn't like Google Earth at all on the onboard video in win7. If you don't ever plan to use Google Earth, you can use the old XP driver with a manual install and go 1024x768 forever. (I haven't tried higher resolutions.) With respect to RAM, more than 3.2GB ram wastes on 32bit Windows anyway. 2GB is fine for this machines PRICE and performance range.

Have fun making these old computers jump through hoops even though they have no legs....