Forums

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

maximum CPU upgrade for GX260

• does any one know the maximum CPU a gx260 can be taken to?
  • Any 400 MHz processor should work (so the limit would be a 2.6 GHz).

• it accepts 533MHz FSB processor also! (we're not talking about GX240  )

not sure about HT-enabled processors though.

• They sell the GX260 with 3.06 w/HT so It must work. BIOS upgrade my be needed. Although $600+ is a "little" expensive for a processor. :)
  • I am running a 3.06 on this computer.  It orginally came with a 2.4!  I shopped on ebay under "optiplex" and also "P4 CPU". Paid much, much less..also try www.googlegear.com for new ones.
  • Hi guys,

sorry to bump this up but since it is a serious decision which could result (if i go ahead with it) in blowing up my pc......................

a mate of  mine has offered me a CHEAP Intel Pentium 4 Processor (Northwood) 3.06GHz, 533MHz FSB, Socket 478
    .....is this all good??

thanks guys really appreciate it

Message Edited by ninja786 on 12-17-2003 05:30 AM

Message Edited by ninja786 on 12-17-2003 05:46 AM

• That's what I've been running since I posted my last message (a 3.06 on a 478 board w/1GB of ram...just make sure that if you use more than 1 slot of ram that they are compatable...I found out that Dells can be ram finicky!!!) Good Luck!!!!
  • Hi mvillacis,

thnaks for the reply......i am going to get it right know ......................yeah baby more power here i come!!

just one thing............ your processor is it HT enabled?

the thing is if my gx260 can handle HT i would'.nt mind getting a HT processor but i do not know how to find out if my system can handle it???!??

• Hi, I believe the GX260s shipped after a certain date have motherboards that can enable HT. My GX260 was shipped on 3/31/2003 and it has HT using BIOS a05.

• Thanks for the input DHsieh,

mine was shipped august 2002...........hmmm..........................man is there anyway of telling if your gx260 can handle HT without actually buying a HT enabled processor and then discovering later after installation that it is not???

cheers guys

• You may want to search the forum for hyperthreading and GX260. I remember seeing a posting that gives the date when the GX260 motherboards are HT-enabled. I think it said early 2003, but I cannot be sure. August 2002 sounds too early.

• DHsieh,

The GX260's that supported hyperthreading began shipping around Nov '02  so any GX260 purchased after that date should support HT processors.  Hyperthreading support was added with bios A05. 

Respectfully,

• Thanks DELL-Mel,

that is what i wanted to here.

i did some searching but never knew which caregory i was in....anyway....

BIG thankyou to all you guysfor helping

• Hi guys

just installed the p4 3.06 ghz 533 fsb processor, works perfect!!.....but unfiortunately no HT......

however i was thinking that i did not flash my bios with revision a05 and went straight from a03 to a06......should or would this make a difference???

would there be any harm of flashing my bios from what i have now a06 to a05???

thanks guys any help sincerely appreciated

• Found the CPU at http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80660 I'm getting ready to upgrade my system.