Forums

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dell Vostro 410 motherboard and memory upgrade question. Can I do the following...

• Hi guys,

Ive bought a Vostro 410 and want to upgrade the memory. I gather the mother board is based on Intel G33

Does this mean the Vostro supports DDR3 memory or only DDR2?

If it only supports DDR2 I guess I can put in 4 x 2GB sticks of 800Mhz ram without issue

So I have 8GB running on my 64 bit vista? Or is this not the case.

I’m not sure what the Vostto 410 motherboard supports in term of memory, i.e. can it handle 2GB per memory slot or not.

Hope someone can help clarify this as, any help is greatly appreciated.

Jabb:smileywink:

(p.s. any viewpoints on which good and fast memory would be a great help, looking at the stuff OCZ are making at the moment) 
    Message Edited by jabb80 on 09-02-2008 01:13 PM
  • According to the Dell manual and the configuration listing on www.crucial.com the maximum memory is 4GB.

Crucial is guaranteed to work in Dell's.  Some Dell's can be finicky with memory and some brands will work and some will not or some brands will work if all the memory is that brand.  Whatever memory you buy, get it at a place that has a very liberal return policy in case it doesn't work.

Here is what Crucial says: Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• thanks for the help, much appreciated.:smileywink:

I also saw what the crucial site said but was wondering if this is 100% correct as its a fairly new desktop and whether more than 4GB could be installed, after seeing the overview specs of the Intel G33 chipset (which is what the vostro 410 is based on).

So it makes me wonder? Intel say that upto 8GB of DDR3 memory is supported with this chipset, but maybe the dell board is different or has memory limitations in the motherboards bios, i really dont know.

I guess the question is whether anyone here has put more than 4GB in the vostro 410??

I'd hate to upgrade to 4GB then find out I could have put 4 x 2GB sticks in. I have the 64 bit Vista and PC has to last me a long time so I'd like to get the most out of it.

What to do!:smileysurprised:

Message Edited by jabb80 on 09-02-2008 05:57 PM
  • Update.

It seems like im not the only person who has raised this question. Someone has reported that they are running 8GB memory in a Vostro 410, which is supposidly restricted to a maximum of 4GB.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_bios&message.id=60743&query.id=74131#M60743

But Dell state in the manuals that the 410 doesnt support more than 4GB. So I dont know what to think.

Maybe a bios update is needed by Dell. Is one around the corner?

Now I'm really confused as to what to do. I dont want a system running Vista 64 bit that is limited to 4GB.

J:smileysurprised:

Message Edited by jabb80 on 09-02-2008 07:15 PM
  • Dell won't issue a BIOS update (if the BIOS is even what determines what the PC motherboard hardware will support).  They only issue BIOS or driver updates if there is a problem that the PC does not do what is "advertised" and rarely to support new hardware.  They are in the business of selling new PC's and there is no incentive for them to modify systems.

Best I can tell you, if you really want to do it, is buy the memory someplace that has a liberal return policy in case 8GB won't work.  I'd try the 8GB memory first and then if it worked go for the 64 bit OS.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• As that person running 8gb happily running my vostro 410 let me add some background notes which may inform.

Correct Both Dell and Crucial state this machine takes a maximum of 1Gb in each of its 4 slots.

HOWEVER - As originally shipped from Dell as a 4Gb machine this was supplied as 2x2Gb modules.

So be brave open it up and take a look!

I obtained a further 2x2Gb modules from Crucial which are working alongside the Dell supplied modules absolutely fine with the 1.03 BIOS.

Crucial tends to rely upon the manufacturer information and with Dell in particular there are other examples of 'undermarketing' of memory capacity. I would cite the example of Inspiron 6400 which both Dell and Crucial state supports a maximum of 2Gb, yet 3Gb Ram( not dual mode however) Inspiron 6400 may be found regularly on Ebay.

The good news is that even the dell supplied memory checker is capable of recognising and testing >4Gb ram and as such I have run it through its most vigorous checkings to validate the additional memory.

• Thanks for your help guys, im going to take the plunge and go for 8GB if its confirmed to work.

chicanery86 I gather you're running Vista 64 bit then, as the 32 bit doesnt support more than 4GB, correct?

Also my vostro 410 came with 2 x 1GB modules, so I guessr I need to sell them on and buy 4x2GB from somewhere, any recommendations on good ram? I gather you went with crucial, I was looking at some ram from OZC.

in particular this stuff:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_vista_performance_platinum_4gb_dual_channel

Hope it would be ok, unless anyone knows otherwise.

Jab:smileywink:

• Now theres the rub - of course purchasing a dell vostro 410 you may or may not be aware that actually when Dell offer you a product description of Vista Ultimate and they dont specify 32 bit only you would be forgiven for expecting to get the same as the retail version namely once license key two versions one 32 bit and one 64 bit.

Well you would be mistaken as dell only ship and support the 32 bit version.

Support are reportedly not able to supply Vista Ultimate 64 despite repeated calls.

I regard this as shonky practice as reported elsewhere this method of incomplete description appears to date back to May 2007.

As Dell supply an OEM version you appear to have no choice but buy an entirely seperate 64 bit version of Ultimate 64 at a further cost of approx £107 on the internet.

Thus far I have avoided this further penalty to obtain what I thought I already purchased.

So I dual boot,  XP for every day currently using only 3.25Gb of my 8Gb of RAM .

Secondary boot into Centos 64 where by the magic of Vmware I have support for 32 and 64 bit clients and can fully utilise the ram.

• Buy through Dell Small Business and you can have them take off the OS and purchase whatever you want. 

• Jabb80,

In reply to your question...  I've just successfully upgraded my Dell Vostro 410 memory to 8GB using 4X2GB  modules you've recommended:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_vista_performance_platinum_4gb_dual_channel

BIOS version 1.0.3 recognized it right away!!!. I am now running Windows XP 64-bit edition and it can see the entire 8GB.

• I know this post is a bit old, but I recently upgraded my Vostro 410 and figured I'd share the experience with anyone finding this thread via search engines.

I was running Windows XP, the system had 4Gb (4x1) of RAM, but Windows was only recognizing 3Gb. I successfully upgraded to 8Gb of Ram and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Here are the new system specs:

Windows 7 Professional SP1
    Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Memory: 8.00 GB
    System type: 64-bit Operating System
    BIOS version: 1.0.3

The memory I used is Corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC2-6400 (two packages of (2x2GB). The system is working perfectly. Windows Experience Index is 7.1 for the memory. Hope this helps anyone looking to upgrade an aging computer to breathe some new life into it.

Thanks,

Adam
    Tekcert.com

•  tekcert

Appreciate the very useful info, on the Vostro 410.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I appreciate this bit of info too; I'm online now buying the same memory for the same situation ...and picking up a PCI x1 USB3 card, too.

I recently added a PCI x1 eSATA card too (this has made file transfers and external drive malware scanning *much* faster). The Vostro 410 is still my main support workhorse, and a few additions and changes should mean a couple of more years of use without too much HW-envy.

Thanks again for the upgrade confirmation and memory suggestion tekcert.

• Thanks for the info Tekcert, I have just picked up one of these on ebay and looking for some upgrade memory.

I will definatley look into the eSATA card as well, as transfers from my external drive are really slooow

Thanks

Roger UK

CCIE Blog

• since this is a really old post, I'll keep it going.  After reading the post I thought I'd give it a try.  I also have a Vostra 410 with 2 1 g and 2 512's for a total of 3 gig.  I bought 2 - 2GG  PNY from Best Buy DDR2 PC2-6400 and they work just fine.  I'm running 64 bit Windows 7.  I now have a total of 6 Gig.  (Debating whether to keep the extra 4 gig to put in place of the 2 original gig.   Don't know how much an extra 2 gig was give me in performance but I can definitely see the difference in the extra 3 gig.  Any thanks for the info as I was really hurting on memory for this computer.