Dimension 4550 cpu upgrade help

For Enterprise

For Enterprise
Technology, Solutions & Services to meet your Business Needs

Dimension 4550 cpu upgrade help

• I have an older Dimension 4550, Pent 4 2.66GHz.  I'm not too computer savvy, but i was wondering if i would be able to upgrade the cpu to a 3.0 w/o changing the MB.  I searched a bit here and there, but i guess it just hasnt quite sunk in as to what I need to look at and where I can go to get an upgrade.

I did go in and DL a program that gave me MB specs:  <DMI> Dell Comp Corp Dimension 4550

FSB :: Bus Width - 64-bit, Real Clock - 133 MHz, Effective Clock - 531 MHz, Bandwidth - 4251 MB/s

Memory Bus Prop :: Bus Type - DDR SDRAM, Bus Width - 64-bit, Real CLock - 166 MHz, Effective Clock - 332MHz

So I guess I'm here to see if anyone can tell me with good certainity that I can upgrade the CPU and maybe point the way as to where I can go to find a CPU this MB will support.

Thanks ever so much for any help and replies!! :)

• If you're not sure what to get go to http://www.powerleap.com/ and use their Upgrade configurator to scan your system.  It will tell you what processors are compatible.

• You can use the 3.0G Northwood processor (with 512K cache, not 1M cache in a Prescott).  Last I looked they were quite expensive and I wouldn't recommend the upgrade.  (I just looked and found one for about $350!)

A simpler thing to check for is memory.  You didn't say how much memory you have, but too little will make the machine very slow.  Check in task manager (control-alt-delete) and check the Commit Charge at the bottom.  The check  Total Physical Memory on the Performance tab.  If the physical memory is smaller or nearly the same as commit charge, you can use more memory or you can benefit from disabling some programs from starting automatically.

Peter 

• I wouldn't recommend upgrading the processor unless the 3.0GHz one is a spare. Performance-wise, it would barely make a difference.

I agree with Peter on the memory, it costs less, is easier to upgrade, and can definately make a difference. How much do you have right now? You can right click on Computer and select Properties or go into the BIOS and check.

The 4550 can take either 1GB or 2GB. It's kind of confusing how Dell gives two numbers, but I recently upgraded my old 4550 to 2GB so you might want to give 2GB a shot.

Dell Latitude D620, Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB Seagate Momentus 5400.4 HDD, 64MB Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M, Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG, DVD±RW, Windows Vista Ultimate w/ SP1

• Thanks all for answering.  I'm currently running at 1.5gig of RAM. 

I tried that InSPECS and saw that yes, CPU's arent cheap...it did list me a Northwood 3.06 for 200 or a 2.8 for 150. :(

I was looking at the cpu upgrade mainly since my younger brother would like this tower (since I hope to upgrade to a new one for me lol) and he's trying to play some game that says a min of 3.0 GHz as min requirements.  When i upgraded the vid card, I was told in some other forums that the card was getting bottlenecked due to the cpu speed on here.  ( card is GeForce 7600 512mb)

But at 150-200 or more, then yes, maybe I'll just see about swapping the half gig ram stick for a full gig.

Thanks for the info!

• Oh one more thing.  Is it true that because this machine runs XP, i can only go so high as 2gig of RAM?  I mean can I try and get one of those 2gig ram sticks I've seen and put a total of 3 gigs in the computer and it will all be used?

Thanks again!

• That machine is specified to only accept 1G total, but many people have got 2G to work.  Windows XP (32-bit) can work up to 3G or a bit more, so it is not the limit.

Peter 

• Ah ok.  I see there are DDR and DDR2, can this machine run the DDR2 RAM?  I know you're supposed to use the same kind of ram for both sticks and right now i have DDR.    So just wondering if i can DDR2 as well.

Thanks

• No, the notch is in a slightly different position. The same kind means specs and speed.

Dell Latitude D620, Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB Seagate Momentus 5400.4 HDD, 64MB Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M, Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG, DVD±RW, Windows Vista Ultimate w/ SP1

• Gotcha!  Thanks again for the help!
  • You're welcome.

What game is your brother trying to play? I doubt that a 3.0GHz processor is needed as a requirement for a game...

• Age of Conan lol.  I upgraded the vid card and it was in their forums people were telling me that it was being bottlenecked because of the cpu speed.  So, I don't know, perhaps getting some more memory will help the card, since right now it'll run the game, just kinda choppy with a pretty erratic fps.
  • Hmm, did a quick search and that's a pretty recent game. A 2.66GHz P4 is not all that much slower than a 3.0GHz P4.

Their recommended specs is a Core 2 Duo E6600, so I think the game probably wants a dual-core processor for best performance.

I wouldn't bother spending money, your 4550 will not be able to run games that new which requires a high-performance system.

Message Edited by Robin24k on 06-10-2008 06:33 PM

• Yea the more i look at it the more I'm thinking he may just have to wait til we can get a newer computer.  Ah well, now I know :)