Choosing among 4 laptop configurations---is coil whine a factor to worry about? - What Do I Buy Forum - What Do I Buy - Dell Community

Choosing among 4 laptop configurations---is coil whine a factor to worry about?

What Do I Buy

What Do I Buy
Need help deciding which product or service to purchase? Let us help you!

Choosing among 4 laptop configurations---is coil whine a factor to worry about?

This question is not answered

Dear Dell Community,

It is the first time I am posting on this forum and I look for help with choosing between four laptop configurations. The order stated below reflects my preference so far:

1. Precision 3520 - custom build
  2. Inspiron 15 7000
  3. Inspiron 15 5000 (5570)
  4. Precision 5520

The specific context of my questions:

• in two weeks I bought and returned three different HP laptops due to coil whine (all running intel i7-8850U), therefore, I decided to try out my luck with Dell products

My specific questions for you:

1. Do those four laptops suffer from coil whine? I found information about Precision 3520 on notebookcheck.net (i.e., link here) stating that it suffers from coil while. I would like to know your opinion about the other three laptops as well. Also, is the coil whine on Precision 3520 a widely spread issue or it occurs on just few units?
  2. I am ordering the products from Dell Netherlands website (i.e., link here) and I found conflicting information about the return & refund policy--on the website it says that when I return the products I must pay for the transport, whereas one employee from Dell customer service said that is not the case. What exactly is the case?

Intended use for the laptop:

• mild data simulations and plenty of scripting
  • pdf annotations, Word and Excel processing
  • web browsing and video streaming
  • carrying the laptop daily in my backpack (i.e., up to 3kg is fine)
  • no gaming intenions

So far I had a very bed experience with asking for help on other forums, but I hope that I can receive constructive feedback from you. Thanks in advance!

All Replies
  • Hi maconstantin,

I can`t answer your questions as this is DEll USA.

Here is the Netherlands forum.

http://www1.la.dell.com/an/en/gen/df.aspx?refid=df&s=gen

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

Ideastorm member since 2007

#DellWorld2012, #DellWorld2015, #DellEMCWorld 2016,# DellEMCWorld2017
    If my answer was helpful, please click the YES Button. Thank You.

• Hi sugarbear18,

I am using this link: www.dell.com/.../inspiron-laptops to access the forums (Support -> Community) and it redirects me to this page. Where else to ask this question?

Thanks.

• Hi maconstantin,

Apologies that you are unable to access the website in your country.  I've tried it and it appears to be working.  Please clear your cache and temporary internet files, close then reopen your browser and try it again.

Here's where the link takes me:  

• Dear DELL-Robert P,

I can access the Netherlands DELL shop without problems. However, sugarbear18 indicated that I should post in the Dutch forums, but from the Dutch website I always get redirected to: http://en.community.dell.com. My guess is that there isn't such thing as "Dutch forums"...

Best regards.

• Apologies for that link. I typed in Dell Netherlands on Google and this is the link that was given. Not the Dutch forum.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

• Anyway, back to the original question.

Do you know what is the coil whine like on this configuration: www.dell.com/.../bn57004 and this: http://www.dell.com/nl-nl/work/shop/pdr/xps-15-9560-laptop/bnx95602 

Also, does the 2nd configuration come with a place for a 2nd HDD? I see that the battery is 56 W/ H, but I am not sure about the possibility to add a 2nd HDD.

I am looking to buy any of these for Black Friday, but I am a bit reluctant mainly due to coil whine.

Thanks!

• We do not know about the coil whine unless a consumer complains about it.

The best thing I can advise you to do, is go to your sales page and click the chat or call Dell sales to ask about the 2nd hard drive.

Teddi

Forum member since 2005

• Dear sugarbear18 and other members,

Contacting Dell Netherlands proves to be a difficult process.

Context:

• Dell Netherlands website has no chat option.
    • I have tried to call every single number on this Dell Netherlands webpage and each time I manage to reach a human being this is the response I got: "We are sorry, Dell Netherlands does not provide phone support anymore. We stopped doing that 3 years ago. The contact numbers on the website are wrong".

I am looking to buy a product and I need to ask few questions, but it appears I cannot get past this barrier. Also, I tried asking the same questions via Dell UK website (chat and phone). They redirected me to the Dell Netherlands contact information--the same phone numbers I unsuccessfully tried to call before.

Can a Dell employee respond to this message with a feasible contact option?

Thank you.