Replacement for DELL DIMENSIONs - What Do I Buy Forum - What Do I Buy - Dell Community

Replacement for DELL DIMENSIONs

What Do I Buy

What Do I Buy
Need help deciding which product or service to purchase? Let us help you!

Replacement for DELL DIMENSIONs

This question has been answered by sugarbear18

I have a few Dimensions, with Windows XP, that I used for email and research..  Then I bought a Dell Precision 690, with SATA hard drives.  Try as I might, I cannot get Windows XP to function on the 690.  I have software for the drivers, but no dice.  The 690 has Vista presently.  

So...I need a computer half-way in size from the Dimension to the Precision 690.  I had to buy a new table to hold the 690, since it barely fits on my desk.  To make a short story long, I need a machine that will hold my IDE hard drives, and considerably more memory than the Dimensions.

Goodwill sells dozens of older computers. I just don't know which one fits my size/hard drive/memory requirements, and I was hoping someone here can advise me.  I can't buy another 690, 'cause it's just too big.

Surely someone here is familiar enough with older Dell computers, who can tell me which model Dell is medium-sized, compared to the small Dimension and the large Precision 690. And also, which medium-sized computer will accommodate at least two IDE hard drives, and 4 GB of memory.  The alternative is to get the Service Tag from each computer being sold online by Goodwill, and run it through Dell Support to determine the original configuration, until I find one with the right specs.     

Verified Answer
All Replies