buying xps13 from Costco vs from Dell - What Do I Buy Forum - What Do I Buy - Dell Community

buying xps13 from Costco vs from Dell

What Do I Buy

What Do I Buy
Need help deciding which product or service to purchase? Let us help you!

buying xps13 from Costco vs from Dell

This question has been answered by DELL-Robert P

I am considering buying a XPS13.  I am trying to understand the difference between these 2 systems which appear to be the same from what is published but the price is $300 less from Costco?

Costco:

productivity Software: 1-Year Subscription for Microsoft Office 365 Personal

• Office 365 Personal on (1) PC or Mac, (1) Windows tablet or iPad.
    • Easily install Office Mobile on multiple smartphones - including iPhones, and Android phones (Office Mobile is already installed on Windows Phones).
    • The latest versions of: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote,  Publisher,  and Access.
    • An extra 1TB of online storage in OneDrive.
    • 60 minutes of Skype™ calls each month to phones in 60+ countries.
    • One convenient subscription with automatic upgrades included so you’re always up to date with the latest features and services.
    • Microsoft Office 365 Personal activation code is included in the package. Please follow the instructions on the code to activate Office 365 Personal.

Processor & Memory:

• Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor 2.5GHz
    • 8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz RAM

Drives: 

• 256GB Solid State Drive
    • No Optical Drive

Operating System: 

• Microsoft® Windows 10

Graphics & Video: 

• 13.3" Touchscreen InfinityEdge Quad HD+ (3200 x 1800) Display
    • Integrated Graphics

Communications: 

• Dell® Dual Band Wireless-AC 1820A WLAN + Bluetooth 4.1
    • Widescreen HD Webcam + Dual-array Digital Microphones

Audio: 

• 2x Stereo Speakers + MaxxAudio® Pro Audio Processing

Keyboard: 

• Dell Backlit Keyboard

I/O Ports & Slots: 

• 2x USB 3.0 (1x with Powershare)
    • 1x Thunderbolt™ 3
    • 1x Media Card Reader
    • 1x Headphone Jack

Power Supply: 

• 4-Cell 56WHr Battery

Additional Information: 

• Dimensions: 11.98" x 7.88" x 0.33"~0.6"
  • Approximate Weight: 2.9lbs

DELL

Processor

6th Generation Intel Core i7-6500U (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
Productivity Software
Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial
Security Software
McAfee LiveSafe 12 Month Subscription
Memory1
8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
Hard Drive
256GB PCIe Solid State Drive
Graphics Card
Intel® HD Graphics 520
Display
13.3” QHD+ (3200 x 1800) InfinityEdge touch display
Wireless
DW1820A 2x2 802.11ac 2.4/5GHz + Bluetooth4.1
Primary Battery
56wHR, 4-Cell Battery
Warranty

1 Year Ltd Hware Warranty: Mail-in; Customer supplies box, Dell pays shipping

Verified Answer
  •    Louis D 

Costco has no information about the warranty that's provided.

Personally I would save the $300 and buy from Dell.

As it's a laptop, think about buying an extended warranty. Wink

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hi Louis D,

Thanks for posting.

If you are interested in getting the latest technology, buy directly from Dell, the computer won't start building until you order it.  At Costco, you have no idea when the computer was built and how long it's been sitting in a warehouse or on their shelves before purchase.

Regards,

Robert

All Replies
  •    Louis D 

Costco has no information about the warranty that's provided.

Personally I would save the $300 and buy from Dell.

As it's a laptop, think about buying an extended warranty. Wink

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hi Louis D,

Thanks for posting.

If you are interested in getting the latest technology, buy directly from Dell, the computer won't start building until you order it.  At Costco, you have no idea when the computer was built and how long it's been sitting in a warehouse or on their shelves before purchase.

Regards,

Robert

• It sounds like Louis D gets the laptop cheaper at Costco?  If so I'd get it there as Costco generally gives you an extra year of warranty for free as part of the membership. Although looking at the reviews of 2 stars out of 5 I wouldn't buy it regardless.

• Thanks for all the input.  Costco provides a 2-year warranty for all their PC/laptops.  I was hoping someone could tell me if there were any significant technical changes in the last year since the Costco laptops might be that much older.  The specs don't seem to show any difference.

• If the specs do not show any difference then there shouldn't be, at least nothing you would notice.  They could use a different chip for audio or LAN or this or that, but it wouldn't effect anything.  Plus I doubt Costco would hold on to inventory that long, at least without reducing the price a ton and clearing it out.  

• I have the same problem. Xps 9360 at Costco was 400 cheaper than the dell website. I'm not exactly sure if these systems are refurbished and or returns. I'd like to know how Costco can sell much cheaper and dell allows it. I need to look at the warranty comparison.

• If its a return or refurb it has to be clearly marked as such.  If its not marked then its new.  Dell can partner with Costco and other merchants to mass produce a specific model with certain features and components and a price Costco is willing to sell at.  OR Costco could sell at a loss to get you to buy other merchandise while you are there.  The only thing Dell could do if it was a problem is stop selling to Costco which wouldn't be very smart on Dell's part.