Inspiron 9300 CPU Uprade with M 780 doesn't work - What Do I Buy Forum - What Do I Buy - Dell Community

Inspiron 9300 CPU Uprade with M 780 doesn't work

What Do I Buy

What Do I Buy
Need help deciding which product or service to purchase? Let us help you!

Inspiron 9300 CPU Uprade with M 780 doesn't work

• Inspiron 9300, M 740, BIOS A05, Chipset i915PM/GM Rev 03

I bought a used M 780 but didn't function. So I contacted Dell they told me that with my chipset only a maximum of 2.1 Ghz CPU will work. Dell didn't answer to my question if i can do something to make it run. I cannot really say if the CPU is broken, I trusted the vendor. Before I send the CPU back I wanted to be sure if Dell isn't wrong with their answer because some of you run the 9300 with this processor.

Thank you

Rudolf

• The system fully supports that CPU;  if it doesn't work, the chip is defective.

• p.s. FWIW, I scored my 780 as a "working pull" via eBay. It didn't even come out of a Dell machine and it worked like a charm and fired up right away and was recognized as the 780 in BIOS and otherwise.

• maybe the OP should go back and double check that he doesn't have any bent pins on the cpu.
  • I'm now convinced that a M 780 works in an Inspiron 9300, I probably bought a broken CPU. It is almost impossible to know it before you have it in your hand. Just wanted to make shure that it isn't my fault by missing some settings. I unfortuntely have no other laptop to test the CPU. The pins look good.

Sorry for any inconvenience I thought its from interest what information I got from Dell.

Thank you

Rudolf

• The Pentium M 780 should most certainly work in the Inspiron 9300. I upgraded from the M 760 to the M 780 and noticed significant improvements in performance. The Windows Experience Index subscore for the processor rose from 3.7 to 4.0 with the M 780. Overall latency also was dramatically reduced. Just be careful swapping the CPU and be sure to clean the old thermal compound off of the heatsink and apply fresh thermal compound. I used Arctic Silver when I swapped my CPU.

• This thread that was posted in 2008, has been locked due to it's age.

If you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell