Deploying Dell OpenManage Server Administrator on VMware ESXi Using Dell Online Depot and VMware Update Manager - Virtualization - Wiki - Virtualization - Dell Community

Deploying Dell OpenManage Server Administrator on VMware ESXi Using Dell Online Depot and VMware Update Manager

Virtualization - Wiki

Wikis - Page

Deploying Dell OpenManage Server Administrator on VMware ESXi Using Dell Online Depot and VMware Update Manager

Virtualization - Wiki

This wiki talks about step-by-step instructions to deploy Dell OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) on VMware ESXi using Dell Online Depot and VMware Update Manager(VUM).

OMSA is a software agent that provides a comprehensive, one-to-one systems management solution. OMSA is designed for system administrators to manage server systems remotely on a network.

A software depot in VMware ESXi context is used to package and distribute VIBs (vSphere Installation Bundles). There are two types of depots – online and offline. An online software depot is accessed remotely using HTTP. An offline software depot is downloaded and accessed locally. Dell hosts an Online depot for the end users to make it easier to deploy OMSA on VMware ESXi. We maintain the latest revision of OMSA images specific for VMware ESXi hypervisor at this depot. The depot contains multiple revisions of OMSA bits compatible for VMware ESXi 4.x and 5.x branches. This can be utilized by VMware Update Manager for installing OMSA software on VMware ESXi hosts.

The instructions provided in this document is same for both VMware ESXi 4.x and 5.x versions. The detailed instructions and steps are available in the white paper uploaded in DTC.

Comments
  • So is this still valid? I can't seem to get the Dell URL, vmwaredepot.dell.com/index.xml , to work in VMware Update Manager. I also tried the HP depot URL, vibsdepot.hp.com/index.xml , and it works fine. I'm also able to download updates from VMware fine, so I don't think it's an issue with my system.

Is the vmwaredepot.dell.com/index.xml still the correct URL for this?

• Updating Tech center with the details:-

From the log, adding vmwaredepot.dell.com/index.xml fails with winhttp error code 12175. winhttp error code 12175 means the download is failed due to SSL certificate validation failure. Refer to VMware KB - 2009000 . Setting the registry variable SslVerifyDownloadCertificate to ‘0’as described in the KB solves the problem.