Dell vWorkspace Profile Editor v 2.0 - A Community Tool

Hi,

A little while back I created a small utility to help maintain your profiles in vWorkspace, more specifically to remove any unwanted large files.  For more information on this please see my original blog post.  Orgianlly this tool was developed because occasionally some, or all of my vWorkspace profile files had grown too large resulting in slower login times for the users. This was mainly in a Proof of Concept when I perhaps included the user documents or desktop folders within the profile.  Best practice is to use folder redirection on these folders but that's not always easy within a PoC.  Large profiles are easy enough to resolve when it was just one or two profile files, but when it effected all users it would become time consuming to go through hundreds or thousands of files.

I am pleased to release the Dell vWorkspace Profile Editor v 2.0 and what really excites me that its been updated with a true community sprit.  So with that I would like to says thanks to Rafael Moreno Ochandiano at Elzaburu who added some new cool new features for us. 

The new features in this release are:

• Support for both Global and Silo profile files. (.gbl and .grp )
  • Delete Mode:  We now have more options for deleting or removing files.
    • Standard - This will only remove the checked files when found in the .gbl or .grp files
    • All Files - Deletes all files in that folder, but it use the children nodes checked to determine what extra content should be deleted.
    • All Files and Folders - Deletes all (files, folders and subfolders)
  • Search improvements
  • GUI updates

I would just like to remind you that this is a community tool and not an official Dell released product and can only be supported on this community site.

Thanks

Paul

Attachment: Wyse vWorkspace Profile Editor v2.0.zip
  • Thanks for the efforts, this utility is a must for any vWorkspace customer using metaprofiles to control and manage user profiles.

• HI Paul,

Appreciate if you could post a  step-by-step blog of how the User Profiles of vWorkspace works. I'm trying to achieve a folder redirection for Pooled VDI but no indication of the User Profile Works.

GPO and redirection, slows down everything.

Regards,

Hussain

• HI Paul,

I have implemented Desktop Redirection / Microsoft Office & Favorites using vWorkspace User Profile Management to a DFS Share. This is applied to only users who used Pooled VMs.

To be more protected and be able to restore user's files, I'm backing up the UserProfile Servers on a daily basis. But the question is, if one user accidently lost one file, how that particular file can be restored from the UserProfile Server (.gbl and .grp) files?

Regards,

Hussain

• Hi,

This KB article sorted out the issue.

support.software.dell.com/.../155927

The .gbl files can be renamed to .zip and copy them outside the MetaProfiles and open the .gbl files.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Hussain

• Hi,

Yes, they are just zip files but it might be a nice feature in the profile editor to search through all the profile files for a document.  You can also create a file associations of the .gbl or .grp files with your favorite zip software.

Cheers

Paul