Dell vWorkspace Profile Editor

In the early part of my career I was a programmer and from time to time I still get some enjoyment from putting code together, especially when I can create something that helps the vWorkspace community. So I have developed a small utility to help manage vWorkspace profiles. This was developed because occasionally some, or all of my vWorkspace profile files had grown too large resulting in slower login times for the users. This was mainly in a Proof of Concept when I perhaps included the user documents or desktop folders.  Best practice is to use folder redirection on these folders but that's not always easy within a PoC.  Large profiles are easy enough to resolve when it was just one or two profile files, but when it effected all users it would become time consuming to go through hundreds or thousands of files.

In the screen shot above you can see that I have a few files that are over 40MB of which I want to investigate. You can either rename the .grp file to .zip and take a look or you can use this MetaProfiles (vWorkspace Profiles) Batch Edit utility.

At the moment the edit functionality is limited to removing files only. Before using this tool, please backup all the files first. This is a community tool and is not supported or tested by Dell. It is provided as is and I cannot be held responsible for any data loss. I would recommend that you take a copy of the profile folder, run this tool on the copy and then copy the updated files back to the original location once happy with the results.

Run the app as administrator, this will get over any permission problems there maybe if your profile files are located on the system drive.  Then click the “open .grp” and browse for one of your large files.  Once opened you will be able to expand the folders and look at the file contents.

In the example below a user had copied an .iso file onto their desktop so we want to clear this out of this profile. There may also be a large file or folder in all the users profile and the same process would clear these too.  Note this can be done offline, meaning the user does not have to be logged in to make these changes.

Once you have identified the file or files you want to remove then the next step is to specify the profile folder where all the rest of the profile files are (more than likely the same folder). Then either select all the files to update or select the desired ones within the second box.  As previously mentioned this tool is provided as is and I cannot be held responsible for any data loss.  I would recommend that you take a copy of the profile folder, run this tool on the copy and then copy the updated files back to the server original location once happy with the results.  Also please note that if a user is logged on then its likely that when they log off it will update the profile and overwrite any changes you have made using this tool.

When you have selected all the .grp files you want edit then simply click on the remove button and the program will loop through and remove the files previously highlighted from the top box.

If you have any comments on bugs or other features you would like to see please let me know.  Hope you find it useful.

Attachment: vWorkspaceProfileEditor 1.0.zip
  • Is it possible to make the screen resizable, so it is easier to see the files size?

• And is it possible to show the folder sizes?

• Version 2.0 is now available with these suggestions.  Thanks