A number of industry commentators, partners and customers have speculated on what the future is for vWorkspace inside Dell, and I’d like to take this opportunity to provide some clarity. Dell is acquiring Quest for its 200+ software solutions in many different solution areas, including Identity and Access Management, Windows Management, Database Management and, of course, User Workspace Management (UWM) for which I run Product Management.

Inside UWM we have 4 major product groupings:

• The ScriptLogic Desktop Management products, including Desktop Authority, Help Desk and Asset Manager
  • ChangeBASE, for analysis and preparation of Windows applications when migrating to Windows 7, 8, VDI/Terminal Server and App Virtualization
  • vWorkspace (which was temporarily renamed Quest Workspace Desktop Virtualization), which is a complete desktop virtualization management solution for both VDI and Terminal Server, and is especially optimized for use with Hyper-V
  • RemoteScan, which I refer to as a universal scanner driver to make scanning and imaging devices “just work” with applications published from Terminal Servers and VDI, including vWorkspace, Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop and VMware View

All of these product groupings have new, exciting opportunities for growth and development inside Dell, and will be exposed to much wider audiences and new routes to market as part of a huge organization with massive reach. In particular, vWorkspace will sit alongside Dell’s desktop virtualization offerings from its partners – Citrix, VMware and Desktone – creating the most complete set of solutions available in the market, covering organizations of all sizes from the smallest to the largest, available both hosted and on-premise.

As part of Dell’s fast-growing software business, we see a bright future for vWorkspace and other UWM products! In the near term we will be releasing a Reference Architecture for vWorkspace, with a view to marketing turnkey hardware-and- software bundles that make vWorkspace easier to try and deploy, and delivering amazing performance with less effort and lower cost. Of course, we will continue to support other platforms and partners and expand vWorkspace’s position in the market. More news to follow, but that’s all for today…

Jon