Look for Us at VMworld 2015 this Month and Learn How to Simplify VM Change Tracking

Look for Us at VMworld 2015 this Month and Learn How to Simplify VM Change Tracking

Have you made your plans yet to attend VMworld 2015 US? Don’t forget that it runs August 30 to September 3 at Moscone Center in San Francisco. Hassan Fahimi and I will present a breakout session called “Change Tracking and Correlation to VM Performance” on Monday, August 31, from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM, and we hope to see you there.

Look out for us at VMworld!

Image credit: Phyllis Buchanan | Licensed under: CC BY 2.0

Tracking and analyzing changes to VMs

A few months ago, I posted about how difficult it can be for virtualization admins to figure out who makes changes in the virtual infrastructure. Unfortunately, Hassan and I won’t be bringing the bow-and-arrow guy to our VMworld session, but we know his unwavering vigilance will be with us in spirit.

The problem hasn’t gone away — people and things in your organization are still making changes that are hard for you to track — so we plan to go through several main questions in greater detail:

• How do you figure out what changed?
  • Are things running poorly because you made a change?
  • If you make a change on a given VM, what will that affect?
  • How many people in your organization have administrative access to ESXi hosts and VMs?
  • Are you using products or tools like DRS (Distributed Resource Scheduler) that can make changes to your virtual infrastructure?
  • How do you know whether changes at either the VM or host level have impacted performance, positively or negatively?

During our session, we’ll show you the answers that the Change Analyzer function in Dell Foglight for Virtualization can provide as you’re figuring out what moved where in your virtual infrastructure. It will be a chance for you to see how you can track different levels of change and keep an eye out for changes deep in your own virtual data center.

Best of all, you don’t have to take our word for it when we tell you how awesome it is: Redmond Magazine, the independent voice of the Microsoft IT community recently awarded its Gold Reader's Choice to Foglight for Virtualization.

See you at VMworld 2015

Plan to attend our presentation, “Change Tracking and Correlation to VM Performance,” on Monday, August 31, from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM.

Also, stop by our booth 1217 at VMworld for your own demo of Change Analyzer. If you ask for Hassan and me, we’ll give you a sneak peek at the new Capacity Director function in Foglight for Virtualization. Be sure to look for us at the show — we hope to see you there.

John Maxwell

About John Maxwell

John Maxwell leads the Product Management team for Foglight at Dell Software. Outside of work he likes to hike, bike, and try new restaurants.

View all posts by John Maxwell | Twitter