Foglight for Storage Management Feedback from the Dell User Forum

Dell held our annual Dell User Forum a few weeks ago in Miami. It was a great opportunity for our customers and channel partners to get in-depth training and knowledge across Dell’s entire product line of servers, storage, networking, and software. I personally attended so that I could educate customers about our Foglight for Storage Management (FSM) product through breakout sessions and hands-on-labs. The response I received was overwhelming…every session was “sold out” with every seat taken. It certainly highlighted that our customers need a tool that will give them visibility into the physical storage that is connected to their virtual environments. Here is some of the feedback that I took away from the event.

The inability to see what is sitting behind their logical datastores is a major pain point for many VM admins. While they may suspect that a performance problem is originating in the physical storage, they lack the tools they need to prove it when working with their storage admins. There was a lot of excitement and interest when I demo’ed FSM’s topology mapping capabilities. FSM maps the entire storage datapath from VM, through your Fibre Channel fabrics, and all the way down to the LUNs/volumes in your storage arrays. The feedback I heard was that there is no other product in the market today that does such a clean and complete job of mapping the entire storage datapath.

FSM’s storage troubleshooting features garnered a lot of attention, too. Customers liked that they can quickly and easily narrow down the source of VM performance issues as residing in the host, fabric, or storage array. And the fact that we show not only performance during the period of interest, but are also able to compare it to a profile of typical performance for the past 30 days was seen as extremely valuable.

Tracking remaining storage capacity was a top priority for some of the attendees. The fact that FSM can show on a single screen the remaining pool capacity for every array in the environment was very valuable. And our ability to track overcommitment in thinly provisioned environments and trigger emailed alarms when configurable thresholds were exceeded resonated with many of the attendees.

In summary, the Dell User Forum was a great experience and definitely validated the market demand for Foglight for Storage Management. If you’d like to learn more about FSM yourself, come visit Dell’s booth for a personal demo at VMworld in San Francisco next month. Or, visit our website at http://software.dell.com/products/foglight-for-storage-management/.