This page lists some commons questions about CCTK.

1. Can CCTK be executed by non-admin users?
  2. Is CCTK available across all Dell systems?
  3. Is CCTK available only as a command line tool?
  4. How can I list all the commands available in the CCTK command line?
  5. How can I get help for a specific command in the CCTK command line?
  6. What is the use of the -–t or --token option in the command line?
  7. I am having problems configuring the TPM using CCTK. What am I doing wrong?
  8. I am trying to set a particular token but the token is not getting set. What is the problem?
  9. What operating systems does CCTK support?
  10. Is CCTK also available for Linux?
  11. How can I search for a setting in the CCTK GUI?
  12. What does the Advanced View do in the CCTK GUI?
  13. Can I set BIOS attributes directly using the CCTK GUI?
  14. What is a CCTK SCE?
  15. How can you create the SCE?
  16. Can SCE be executed by non-admin users?
  17. Why is the SCE not getting executed when being called from a script?
  18. Is it possible to create the SCE using the CCTK command line?
  19. How can I understand if the SCE was executed successfully or not? There is no GUI that comes up for the SCE.
  20. I provided the setup/system password when creating the SCE. Will it be encrypted inside the SCE package?
  21. What different formats can the GUI export the desired configuration to?
  22. After I start the GUI, if I change the value of a parameter in the command line, I don’t see it reflect in the GUI? Why is the value not appearing in the GUI?
  23. When creating the SCE, a shell script file is also written in the same folder. What is the use of this file?
  24. How can I get more help on CCTK?
  25. How do I use CCTK to reset the BIOS to the default values on the next boot?

1. Can CCTK be executed by non-admin users?

CCTK is a BIOS configuration tool.  Since the configuration to BIOS is not a day to day need for regular users, this tool can be only executed with administrator privileges.

2. Is CCTK available across all Dell systems?

CCTK is only available for Dell enterprise client systems, specifically Latitude, Optiplex and Precision models. 

3. Is CCTK available only as a command line tool?

CCTK is also available in a GUI but it is for Windows operating systems only. The GUI version is available from version 2.0 onwards. It requires .Net Framework 3.5.

4. How can I list all the commands available in the CCTK command line?

Enter the following command in the command prompt: cctk -h

5. How can I get help for a specific command in the CCTK command line?

Type cctk –h <command> where the command is the specific command. Example: cctk –h --tpm

6. What is the use of the --t or --token option in the command line?

The command –t followed by the hex value allows to set the CMOS byte. The CMOS byte input should be in hex format. Example: cctk --t 0x000B or cctk --token 0x000B

A CMOS byte can also be tested to see if it is available, active, or not active using --istokenactive. Example: cctk --istokenactive 0x000B

7. I am having problems configuring the TPM using CCTK. What am I doing wrong?

The following steps should be followed for enabling and activating a TPM:

a. Update the system to the latest version of BIOS to make sure it supports enabling and activating a TPM through CCTK.

b. Enable the TPM: cctk --tpm=on

c. Optional: Reboot the system. Some models require this step while other models do not.

d. Set the BIOS password: cctk --setuppwd=<password>

e. Activate the TPM: cctk --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=<password>

f. Optional: Reboot the system. Some models require this step while other models do not.

e. Check that the TPM is enabled and activated: cctk --tpm –-tpmactivation

If the TPM is still not getting  enabled and activated, then search the Dell TechCenter or ask for help on the Dell Enterprise Client forum. If you intend to enable and activate the TPM using an SCE, then check the whitepaper on SCE and TPM in CCTK for reference. See the OpenManage whitepapers page for the 2011 whitepaper "Enabling and Activating the TPM on Dell Enterprise Clients with a CCTK Self-Contained Executable (SCE)" or the 2010 whitepaper "Best Practices for Remote TPM Enablement for Dell Business Client Systems".

8. I am trying to set a particular token but the token is not getting set. What is the problem?

First check if the configuration setting is supported on the platform. That could be a reason for the failure. If the configuration setting is supported and still not getting set/reset, then report the issue through the Dell Enterprise Client forum.

9. What operating systems does CCTK support?

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and RHEL 5.x

10. Is CCTK also available for Linux?

CCTK is also available in Linux. Refer to the Quick Installation Guide and User Guide for installation instructions.

11. How can I search for a setting in the CCTK GUI?

In the Create Configuration dialog, there is a “Search” text box. The search is based on each entered word so the results will match based on any word.

12. What does the Advanced View do in the CCTK GUI?

The Advanced View helps the user map the particular configuration setting to the corresponding command line option. 

13. Can I set BIOS attributes directly using the CCTK GUI?

You cannot set the BIOS attributes using the CCTK GUI. the CCTK GUI will help you only export the chosen configuration in the form of a ini/cctk plain text file or an executable (SCE) which can then be applied on target machine.

14. What is a CCTK SCE?

A CCTK SCE is a CCTK Self-Contained Executable. When executed with administrator privileges on a target platform, it will apply the desired configuration, set in the CCTK GUI, to BIOS.

15. How can you create the SCE?

You can create SCE with CCTK GUI by clicking on the “Export Configuration .exe”  tab in the Create Configuration screen. You will be allowed to export only if you have choosen at least one of the BIOS configurations for export.

16. Can SCE be executed by non-admin users?

Since the SCE internally uses CCTK to set the configuration, and CCTK can only be executed as an administrator, then the SCE should also be executed only as an administrator.

17. Why is the SCE not getting executed when being called from a script?

The first item to check would be that if you are elevating the script to run the executable as an administrator. If you are not elevating the script before executing the CCTK SCE, then the SCE will be executed with non-admin privilege and the execution will fail.

A typical example of a script in VBScript is If you call the executable with the “Run” method, then the execution of the script will fail. However if you execute the SCE exe with the “ShellExecute” method and set the 4th argument to “runas”, then the script will elevate and execute the SCE as an administrator.

18. Is it possible to create the SCE using the CCTK command line?

No, currently (v2.01) doesn't support creation of an SCE from CCTK CLI. SCE can only be created after the desired tokens are selected from the CCTK GUI.

19. How can I understand if the SCE was executed successfully or not? There is no GUI that comes up for the SCE.

When an SCE is executed, it will dump the output of the SCE in the same folder as itself. Also another log is created in the folder %APPDATA%/Dell/UpdatePackage/Log with the same file name as that of the SCE file.

20. I provided the setup/system password when creating the SCE. Will it be encrypted inside the SCE package?

Yes, the password inside is encrypted with AES. The administrator has to be careful incase he has exported the configuration as a plain text file (.cctk/.ini) and given the validation password during its creation.

21. What different formats can the GUI export the desired configuration to?

The CCTK GUI can export the chosen configuration in one of the 3 formats

a.       Ini/cctk file : This was be a plain text file and using the cctk CLI you can apply all the setting on the desired target machine.

b.      Exe file: This is an executable which when executed with administrator privileges will help apply the configuration on a desired target machine.

c.       Html file : This is only used for reporting. The entire set of chosen values are exported in html display format

22. After I start the GUI, if I change the value of a parameter in the command line, I don’t see it reflect in the GUI? Why is the value not appearing in the GUI?

This is working as expected. The GUI will only help you choose and export the desired BIOS configuration in various formats like ini file, exe file or html file.

23. When creating the SCE, a shell script file is also written in the same folder. What is the use of this file?

This shell script has the same details as the choosen configuration in the GUI. This script will help apply the choosen configuration on a Linux machine considering that CCTK is also available on Linux.

24.   How can I get more help on CCTK?

a.      Search in the User Guide or the Command Line Interface Guide.

b.      Search Dell TechCenter or post to the Enterprise Client Forum.

25. How do I use CCTK to reset the BIOS to the default values on the next boot?

Use the --cmosdefaults=enable option with cctk.exe.