OME 2.3 install fails with ODBC error for SQL Server Driver - Dell OpenManage Essentials - Systems Management - Dell Community
Systems Management Forums

OME 2.3 install fails with ODBC error for SQL Server Driver

Systems Management

Systems Management
Dell Systems Management Solutions: Dell OpenManage, iDRAC, Repository Manager, Microsoft SCCM, Chassis Managment Controller, and more

OME 2.3 install fails with ODBC error for SQL Server Driver

This question has been answered by hudson8

All:

This install is on Windows Server 2016 with current patches.  Passed all the prerequisites (by using v2.2 install to correctly load ASP .NET 4.6).

Then the install fails with ODBC SQL Server Driver [DBMSLPCN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I tried v2.2, and it also fails with the same error.

I am performing the install  as a local admin and accepting all the defaults.

Has anyone seen this and know an answer?

Hudson

Verified Answer
  • Additional note--

I upgraded the Server 2012R2 running OME 2.3 to server 2016 and OME runs fine.

So it is only the install of OME that fails on Server 2016.

All Replies
  • Hi Hudson,

Thanks for the query.

Following will help to close in:

1. How is SQL Server set up? Default installed using OME installer? If not, does the current user have necessary rights that are required?

2. Is this machine a domain controller?

3. What all TLS (security) protocols are enabled on the system?

Thanks,

Shivendra

• This server 2016 latest release, NOT on a Domain. Installing with a local administrative user.

The installation failed to install SQLExpress, so I added SQLexpress 2012 myself.

The local login I am using is also a sysadmin on the SQL server.

I am going to try this on a fresh 2016 server in parallel with a 2012R2 server.

I've installed with no problem previously on Server 2012R2; my impression is that there is an issue with Server 2016.

(I also tried it after having Server 2016 join the domain NOT as a domain controller -- I know not to do this--

TLS settings are the standard setting for Server 2016 no restrictions (but the sql server is local to the machine that OME is being installed on, so this should not matter).

also failed.)

• Shivendra--

I ran through the same installation process using Server 2012R2:

OME 2.3 A00 installed without a problem on server 2012R2

I rolled back my 2016 install (these are all VMware VMs with snapshots) and ran the OME install in the same order (clearing out the prerequeisites) as I did for the install on 2012R2 and it failed again.

Next step-- I'm going to try updating the 2012R2 with the functional OME 2.3 to Server2016.

That looks like the only way to install OME on server 2016.

I'd be interested to have you try a current version of server 2016 in your test lab and see if if OME installs.

I'm going to start a new thread, now that I know this is specific to server 2016

• Additional note--

I upgraded the Server 2012R2 running OME 2.3 to server 2016 and OME runs fine.

So it is only the install of OME that fails on Server 2016.

• I would request you to get in touch with Dell Support. They can take a closer look and guide in right direction. Sensing something specific with this system only.

Thanks,

Shivendra