OME shows update for already updated parts - Dell OpenManage Essentials - Systems Management - Dell Community
Systems Management Forums

OME shows update for already updated parts

Systems Management

Systems Management
Dell Systems Management Solutions: Dell OpenManage, iDRAC, Repository Manager, Microsoft SCCM, Chassis Managment Controller, and more

OME shows update for already updated parts

• Hi, we recently updated some servers iDracs 6 to 1.98.

In the device tab it shows with the right version Number:

But in the system updates tab it is still listest with 1.97:

I already did the hole discovery process again but it did not help.

Any ideas?

• Hi,

Thanks for the post. So, by devices tab, you mean the software inventory table and not the firmware information table or data sources table, right? If not, can you check what is shown in the software inventory table?

Thanks

Pupul

• Hi,

we are using the OME in german and there might be some translation issues when trying to get support. To get around this i tryied to add some screenshots. But I must have made a mistake with them. So here is the second attempt.

• Hi,

Thanks for the post. Few clarifications to understand the environment better.

1. Are you using OMSA 7.4 64bit or 32bit ?

2. Have you updated iDRAC firmware through in-band?

3. Can you please check the version of iDRAC firmware in "Software Inventory information"  table of OME?

If Software inventory table shows "1.97" & you have updated firmware through inband, then please restart OMSA services in the Managed Node.

After successful restart of OMSA services, please re-discover/inventory this device in OME console.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Arun 

Thanks,

Arun
    Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell

• Hi, thanks for your help.

1. OMSA 7.4 64bit

2. iDRAC has been updated in-band

3. In "Software Inventory Information" table it is 1.97, too.

All OMSA Services (DSM ...) have already been restarted as well as a new re-discovery.  And I tried to delete the server in OME before re-discovering. Did  not help.

• Hi,

We need to confirm whether OMSA could update it's inventory component output.

In the managed node, C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\oma\log\cachecfg.txt points to the latest inventory component output of OMSA. Read the content of this file.

Mostly it will be like C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\oma/log/Inventory.xml.1.

Open this xml file and search for iDRAC component. If the software version has shown as 1.97 still then the issue is with OMSA.  I would recommend to update OMSA (or) reinstall OMSA.

Otherwise I would recommend you to open a ticket with Dell.

call 800-945-3355 to open a ticket

Thanks,

Arun

Thanks,

Arun
    Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell

• There were few issues with OMSA 7.4 around inventory not getting updated. But restarting the OMSA services should have fixed it. If it is not a production server, can you check restarting the server once, if it is possible. Also, the inband system update task does show completed successfully and no error reported, is that right?

Thanks

Pupul

• Hi,

i checked cachecfg.txt and as you said it pointed to Inventory.xml.1.

Last filechange has been 5 days ago.

Searching for iDRAC i found this:

</Device>
        <Device componentID="20137" display="iDRAC6" AgentID="1" TimeStamp="2014-10-18T16:33:14Z" History="3" SequenceNum="67">
    <Application componentType="FRMW" version="1.97 " display="iDRAC6"/>
    </Device>

I swear I allready restarted the OMSA Services yesterday and the files looked like I describe above.

But I gave it another try and restarted the services again. And this time the cachecfg.txt points to Inventory.xml.2. And geuss what:

</Device>
        <Device componentID="20137" display="iDRAC6" AgentID="1" TimeStamp="2014-12-05T17:44:06Z" History="4" SequenceNum="72">
    <Application componentType="FRMW" version="1.98 " display="iDRAC6"/>
    </Device>

Looks good, now.

Re-Discovering and re-inventoring did not help that much. After I did that, the server has no longer been listed in any kind of system update tabs in OME. I could only see in the devices tab.

I had to delete the server in OME and after re-discovering and re-inventoring again it reappeared in the system updates tab as a "green" device.

This server is OK, now. I will monitor this behaviour with the next servers that I add to OME.

Thanks a lot so far.

• Happy that it worked. :-)

Thanks for choosing Dell.

Thanks,

Arun
    Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell

• Hm,

there is another server with the same Problem. Restarting the services and waiting some minutes solved it.

Will there be a fix for OMSA 7.4?

• Okay, some more information:

It is not necessary to restart all OMSA Services.

Restarting the service "DSM SA Shared Services" and waiting for about one ore two minutes is enough.

I do this by executing psservice \\servername restart "omsad"

The next step is to do a re-inventory again. So far, so good.

But there is another little Problem. I have to close the browser (IE11) and start a new OME session to see the updated information under the system update tab.

Has anybody an idea the helps not to restart the browser?

• I think this should have been fixed in recent release of OMSA. But not very sure about it.

Will cascade this information to corresponding team.

Thanks,

Arun

Thanks,

Arun
    Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell

• Hi,

Thanks for the post. OME updates the applicable packages periodically. For the list to get update in the OME UI, you can go to different page and come back to System update summary would make OME to re-compute the packages.

We heard from customers, this particular computation takes longer than expected at times. In OME 2.0.1 there is a "Force refresh" button is added in non-complaint tab for system update. If you upgrade to 2.0.1, You can make use of this feature.

Thanks,

Arun

Thanks,

Arun
    Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell

• I too appear to be having the same problem. FW updated two servers last night and checked this morning.. OME said both servers still needed the updates. Upon checking OMSA on both servers the updates had been applied, both servers had the updates installed OME said were not installed. Did the usual things.. restarted the servers, restarted the OMSA services, forced a inventory in OME, closed and opened the browser for OME to no avail. Am using OME 2.0.1.2222. I know that this was less an issue on the previous version of OME I upgraded from.. not implying that anything has been modified in this version, just that the issue is worse on my upgraded system. I can't comment on anybody else's system.

I seem to remember seeing a post about this issue and a folder/sub folder to check on the affected system (I think) and some entries to look for in a file. I cannot find that post anymore. Anybody care to help?