Systems Management Forums

OME - Monitoring through iDrac or OMSA

Systems Management

Systems Management
Dell Systems Management Solutions: Dell OpenManage, iDRAC, Repository Manager, Microsoft SCCM, Chassis Managment Controller, and more

OME - Monitoring through iDrac or OMSA

• Hello,

I have some servers that I would like to monitor through OME. These servers run ESXi 4.1 and all have an iDrac 6.

What would be the best way to do it? Should I do it through the iDrac connection or should install OMSA on the servers. Are any difference in the information between the two ways?

Thanks again for helping!

• Hi,

Take a look at white paper below about managing ESXi servers using OME.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20071085.aspx

There is also a tutorial in OME for configuring ESXi servers for management in OME.

In summary, you would install OMSA VIB on the server and use WS-MAN to discover and inventory. You would set the trap destination as OME server so that you can receive SNMP traps from ESXi server to OME.

OMSA monitors overall server health and does monitor more hardware than iDrac 6 so using OMSA would be advisable.

Regards

Abhijit

• Hello Abhijit,

Thanks for the answer! So is worth to discover and inventory both iDrac cards and Server (through OMSA) ? Also, let's say I have a server with iDrac connection. I discovered and inventoried that server through the iDrac connection using SNMP and IPMI in the discovery rule. Doing this will make my server appears as "server" and not "drac " object in ome because of the IPMI. Am I correct ?

And, I received two alerts: system is down and system is up. Is that alert coming from the server or the iDrac card? I mean what is "system" referring to? The server itself or the card? Because I was not able to find any logs neither on the server nor the idrac. Could you please guide me ?

Thanks for helping!

• Thanks for the updates.

If you discover the server using WS-MAN, OME will get the inventory information from VMWare's provider and will get the server health from OMSA. Since OMSA monitors overall server health, the health status reported covers most of the server hardware. You can also get SNMP traps from the ESXi server.

For ESXi servers, OMSA does not provide launch URL for iDrac. You can discover iDrac separately and can get that information. I would recommend using SNMP instead of IPMI. SNMP provides more information than IPMI. iDrac discovered using SNMP will appear under "RAC" device group.

If you use IPMI, the discovered iDrac will appear as a server under servers group and later get merged with the server once you discover that.

Regarding "system is up" or "system is down" alerts, those alerts are generated by OME itself. Those are not received from iDrac or the server. OME does a system health check every hour by default. If for some reason, OME is not able to reach the target node, it generates system is down alert. That alert usually contains the device name for which it is generated.  OME ships with it's own MIB which can be found in "\Dell\SysMgt\Essentials\configuration" folder in the installation path. This MIb contains the definitions for the alerts which are generated by OME.

Regards

Abhijit