I am trying to search our Physical Citrix Servers in our company so that I made and ran the qeury, but the result got both Citrix Servers and its Console also.
Is there a way I can exclude those console from my query?
Our server naming convestion is (Site)(type of app servers)(number).domain.com
For example, vacitrix1.domain.com or vactxenapp1.domain.com
- I query by ip address start with : 192.168.100.
- and Name Started with (Site) "vacitrix"
- or contain with "xenapp"
Would you please let me know how could I exclude console.domain.com form this query?
Thanks for your post.
I can see there is no exclusion criterion for device name in device search query. This makes it difficult to exclude console.domain.com servers in your case as the Citrix servers also have a name ending with domain.com. I'll make sure our marketing team gets this so that we can improve the search option to add exclusion criterion like "does not contain".
Thanks for the update. When you request it for them, how long do you think it takes for updating that feature?
It depends on the priority/scope of the feature and the phase the next release is currently in. If it's a simple request and high priority it can be added quickly. If it is larger in scope and there are other high priority requirements in the works, it gets added to the upcoming release queue.
The request will typically go in as feature request in the product backlog and when the requirements for the next release are considered, it gets prioritized and added as requirement for that release. The next release for OME is coming up in Q3/Q4 this year and depending on the scope and status of other requirements, this can get added to the upcoming release or one after that.
We put IP ranges for the citrix hosts to discover and inventory daily.
For instance, one of the citrix servers we are looking for is vacitrix4.domain.com and its ip address is 192.168.200.115.
We put ip ranges like 192.168.200.0-255 on the Discovery Ranges >include ranges.
and we currently have 34 unclassified devices.
Some Device names showed up with their host names, but it still shown up as ip addresses if I double click those unclassified devices.
I manually search the device with the exact IP address of the host, but nothing is found.
I also ran the troubleshooting tool and got the result as below.
Time: 6/21/2012 11:31:09 AM Device: vacitrix4
Protocols Selected are:
MIB-II (System Name) vacitrix4.domain.com
Server Administrator (Version) 6.5.0
Inventory Collector (Agent Version) 6.5.0
Is there anything I need to check and to try to resolve the issue?
Thanks for the updates.
To understand your issue correctly, you are saying if you specify the IP address for a specific server in the discovery wizard, that server is not discovered and classified by OME, correct?
When you are running the troubleshooting tool, are you using the same IP address or are you using the host name? From the troubleshooting tool results, it looks like it is able to talk to OMSA using SNMP. With that OME should be able to discover and classify the server correctly. Can you double check if the community string entered in the discovery wizard is matching the one on the server. One thing to remember is the community string is case sensitive.
Regarding some devices showing up as IP addresses, can you check if you have reverse DNS lookup setup appropriately for those devices? One easy way to verify this would be to run "ping -a <IP address> command from command prompt and check if you get the hostname back. When you use IP addresses for discovery if the DNS reverse lookup is not setup, OME will not be able to get hostnames.
I confirmed SNMP Community string is correct.
Also, I ran the troubleshooting tool to get results both ip address and hostname.
They picked up the same result that I posted early.
One thing I turned on network discovery of Domain option on the host if it helps, but it still doesnt help it at all. I checked another Citrix host which is discovered properly via OME, the network discovery of Domain option is turned off state so that it may be not the issue.
Also, for reverse DNS lookup test, it is the ping result I got as below. It seems the DNS entires are properly set up.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\CitrixAdmin>ping -a 192.168.200.115
Pinging vacitrix4.domain.com [192.168.200.115] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.200.115: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=126
Ping statistics for 192.168.200.115:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms
Thanks for the updates. The setup looks alright to me.
Another thing you can try is to enable discovery logging by clicking the arrow icon located on the top right under the logs menu and run discovery again. It will generate the log file under C:\Windows\Temp folder. If there is nothing obvious, you may have to open a trouble ticket so that tech support can investigate further. The number is 800-945-3355