Systems Management Forums

ESXi 5 questions

Systems Management

Systems Management
Dell Systems Management Solutions: Dell OpenManage, iDRAC, Repository Manager, Microsoft SCCM, Chassis Managment Controller, and more

ESXi 5 questions

• You should be able to run the open manage server administrator installer and do a custom install to install the web server on the Essentials server.  Once you launch the server administrator, you can can connect to the esxi server.  

• On any other server (OME server will work) you will need to have OMSA installed, or just the web.

** I prefer to do the full install, so if I am already on the specific physical server doing other things, I can just open it right from there...

Take a look at this link, but the pictures are the only things you need to pay attention to

tech.zsoldier.com/.../esxi-4x-and-dell-omsa.html

If when you open OMSA on the "proxy" server, it auto logs you in, just log out...

And you will use the management IP, and the ESXi username/PW

It just recently started working for me, and I think it was after I eventually installed the available patches to ESXi 5.0 to bring it up to the latest build.

My concern now is, if there are BIOS, driver or firmware updates, it is not being fully inventoried so I wouldn't be able to see what is available to update nor push these updates...

• So I got OMSA installed on the Essentials server.  The only complaint in the OMSA is the storage firmware version.

Any other ideas why Essentials  is showing an error for the Software Agent Information ?

Isn't the idea of Essentials that I can use it to update things like the firmware version ?

Thanks,

Ron

• Hi Ron,

Essentials does allow you to update firmware versions for the monitored servers. There are two exceptions. One is ESXi servers which cannot be updated using Essentials today but that functionality is coming soon.

The second exception is the server on which you install Essentials cannot be updated using Essentials. This is by design to avoid reboots and interruption of management and monitoring functionality. If you want to update the firmware on Essentials server, you can use Server Update Utility to achieve the same.

Regards

Abhijit

• Abhijit,

Thanks for the reply, how soon are we talking about for firmware patches to esxi ? (I have an outstanding firmware bug to power supplies that needs fixing).

Thanks,

Ron

• Hi Ron,

It is always difficult to have precise dates for the future release.

It is definitely high priority for us for the next release which is coming around Q3-Q4 timeframe this year.

Regards

Abhijit

• Thanks Abhijit,

That timeframe works. Can you describe the methodology that the OME server will have to update firmware on the ESXi server ?

• OME will use out of band update mechanism and will be able to send the frimware updates to ESXi server using iDrac.

• Additional information on setting up ESXi 5.0 at this link:

en.community.dell.com/.../20071085.aspx