Systems Management Forums

KVM 2162DS - Issues replacing Web Certificate

Systems Management

Systems Management
Dell Systems Management Solutions: Dell OpenManage, iDRAC, Repository Manager, Microsoft SCCM, Chassis Managment Controller, and more

KVM 2162DS - Issues replacing Web Certificate

• I am setting up a KVM 2162DS. I want to replace the Web Certificate with one that has been given out by our Active Directory CA.

I have done this in the past with iDRAC cards, it's very easy. I create a request, copy the request text, submit it to our CA and then I have a certificate that I then import back into the iDRAC.

With the 2162DS I don't see how to do this the same way. I can generate a new certificate but am not presented with the request text that I can submit to our CA.

There is an option to Upload a New Certificate, so I went ahead and created a certificate with OpenSSL, submitted to our CA and then downloaded the certificate. When I try and upload the certificate I get the error "The uploaded file did not contain a valid private key".

The "Instructions" at the top of the screen say "Please select if you want to generate a new self-signed certificate, or upload a certificate. Uploaded certificates must be in OpenSSL PEM format with an unencrypted private key."

How do I do this? Where can I find the documentation that explains how to create a certificate in OpenSSL PEM format with an unencrypted private key?

Why can't it be easy like the iDRAC cards are???

• After contacting Dell support with no resolution I contacted Avocent. Their response was:

You cannot replace the certificate on the actual KVM. You can only replace the certificate on the DSView3 management software if you have purchased the DSView3 software to manage the KVM.
  • "After contacting Dell support with no resolution I contacted Avocent. Their response was:

You cannot replace the certificate on the actual KVM. You can only replace the certificate on the DSView3 management software if you have purchased the DSView3 software to manage the KVM.
    "
    We're using a KVM 2162DS with one certificate that has been given out by our CA, just:

# cat kvm.domain.com.cert kvm.domain.key >> kvm.domain.com.pem

and upload into KVM 2162DS