Systems Management Forums

Dell Server Deployment Pack V1.2 - import driver package - Admin Console Crashes

Systems Management

Systems Management
Dell Systems Management Solutions: Dell OpenManage, iDRAC, Repository Manager, Microsoft SCCM, Chassis Managment Controller, and more

Dell Server Deployment Pack V1.2 - import driver package - Admin Console Crashes

• Hi,

I've downloaded Dell Server Deployment Pack v1.2 A02 and installed successfully via these instructions:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/w/wiki/dell-deployment-pack-installation-instructions.aspx

The install went fine.... and console appears to have additional attributes for Dell Poweredge now... but _install.log has this:

=====================================
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM ::  

1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Trying standard .NET call to registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Identification\Site Server
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Registry key not found.
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Could not access the registry key (32-bit machine):HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Identification\Site Server
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Trying standard .NET call to registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Identification\Site Code
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Registry key not found.
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Could not access the registry key (32-bit machine):HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Identification\Site Code
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Trying standard .NET call to registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Setup\UI Installation Directory
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Value returned = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI'
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Trying standard .NET call to registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Setup\UI Installation Directory
    1/4/2012 8:57:02 AM :: GetSafeRegistryStringValue: Value returned = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI'

when I try to import drivers like this:  http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/w/wiki/using-the-dell-deployment-pack-for-configmgr.aspx

I get console error just after Step 2..

"An error occured in ConfigMgr. The ConfigMgr console will continue to function, however you should save your work and restart the console. After restarting the console, verify that your last configurations have been applied."

System.Xml.XmlException: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
       at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
       at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.OemDeployment.DellDriverPackageImport.PackageSelection.GetPackageListXml(String dellCatalogXml)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.OemDeployment.DellDriverPackageImport.PackageSelection.PackageSelection_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsDialogBase.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

• After reading the above message more closely... the error apears to be in the DVD itself.

"System.Xml.XmlException: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1."

When I search for this error on the internet, I get stuff like this:  blog.komeil.com/.../data-root-level-invalid-xml-exception.html

This tells me that there is a problem with the downloaded DVD from the Dell's website.  

I then decided to download an older version of the files:

Most current:

OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.001

OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.002

Older:

OM_6.4.0_SMTD_A00.iso.001

OM_6.4.0_SMTD_A00.iso.002

When I use the older DVD, I do not get the error????

So why is the newest version of the DVD giving me this error?  I would think everyone would be getting this error?  Any ideas.. is there a different download arear I can use?

Please help...

• Note: I have also tried to download the 6.5 DVD direct from the Dell FTP site ... but continue to get the same error.

• I'm trying to reproduce the error.  I see that you have a case open with a tech at Dell.  I will work with him to see if we can reproduce the error and will get back to you as quickly as possible but may be a day or two.

• just to be sure, are you checking the MD5 hashes of the files after they are downloaded to be sure they came down correctly?

MD5: edd5cfd3bfa91cc3e092688c03a20234 OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.002

MD5: fabcbe9aa3ddd0b1c45ba6951ca475d2 OM_6.5.0_SMTD_A01.iso.001

I usually use this tool to verify the hases: www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/.../md5-hash