My customer ha a SCv2020 with 7 x 1.2 TB 10K configure with RAID Dual Redundant Level RAID10DM/RAID6-6.
Please help on my question as:
1. Can I do add disks during the storage system running? Customer data will be OK?
2. I have to install the new 8 x 1.2 TB 10K disks to the system. Please help to confirm the steps are correct.
1. Add the 8 Disk to the blank slot.
2.Select a Storage Center from the Storage view.
3. Click the Storage tab.
4. Select the Disks node.
5. Click Scan for Disks
6. Click Manage Unassigned Disks.
7. Select Disk Folder "10K"
8. Click change 8 new disks to assign.
9. Click Rebalance
3. For Rebalance, could you give me the roughly idea of how much time its take? May be GB/hours?
4. Can we configure the workload of RAID rebalance e.g. 80% of storage resources do service the hosts and 20% of storages resources do the RAID rebalance?
Or which option can I do to minimize the impact of customer production workloads? (20 Hyper-V VMs)
5. After RAID rebalance. Is the RAID Level will change to RAID 10DM/RAID6-10? Due the total disks are 14 (with One Spare)
Re: 1. Yes, current data will not be impacted by adding in drives.
Re: 2 Normally the drives will be automatically added in without manual intervention.
Re: 3. Not with any accuracy. So much depends on what else is occurring at the time.
Re: 4. No, you can't alter the prioritization of IO operations to rebalance operations.
Re:5. The system will favor the creation of R6-10 RAID. However R6-6 may still exist on the system if the existing drives are already fully allocated. If you want to review after the disks are adding, I recommend opening a support ticket
Social Media and Community Professional#IWork4DellGet Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro
There's no exact answer to that. Generally speaking, it's not noticeable at all. It does depend on what else is going on at the time.
However, if it did become a problem, there is a hidden way for support to stop the re-balance. Adding the drives during a lower IO period would likely prevent this issue.
If you open a support case before adding the drives they can review the system for any signs of issues that might impact performance during the re-balance.
Thanks for your advise.
Refer to 2, If it will add the disks without manual intervention.
Do we need to re-balance or the system will perform the re-balance immediately?
Do we have any option to do schedule re-balance ? e.g. do re-balance during 1:00 AM - 5 AM every day until its complete.
If the drives are added in you should not have to initiate a re-balance. I would check to be sure once the drives are installed.
No, there's no way to schedule the re-balance operation in that way.
I will waiting for your checking.
How is the system load of SCv2020 during it do re-balance? How it will effect the performance of customers' workloads?
Thanks for your advise, I will open the case with DELL support before we will do installtion.