Powervault NX3200 - General - Forum - Storage - Dell Community

Powervault NX3200

Storage

Storage
Gain insight and information on Dell EMC Storage products from engineers, peers and experts in the industry.

Powervault NX3200

This question is not answered

Hi,

We have NX3200 having 6 3TB hdd in Raid 5 and 2 HDD in RAID 1.

Now i want to add 6TB (4 Nos) to this storage.

What is the option to add HDD without loss of HDD in same RAID 5 & SAME DRIVE (ex . D Drive)

Please suggest with pro & cons.

Thanks & Regards,

Shiju Chacko

All Replies
  • Add two 3TB disks to your server. In OpenManage (OMSA), go to Storage, Virtual Disks and select Reconfigure from the dropdown menu of Available Tasks for your RAID 5.

What I would STRONGLY recommend is that you add ONE disk to your server and convert it from a 5-disk 15TB RAID 5 to a 6-disk 15TB RAID 6. Once complete, add two new disks to your RAID 6 to expand it out to 21TB. With the size of your storage, running RAID 5 pretty much guarantees you will experience data loss during a rebuild when you lose a drive. Your chances of data loss are 10-20 times higher if you are using desktop or NAS drives - drives not certified for this server.

• Hi,

OK, There is chance of data loss.

So, its better to configure 6TB in new array.

Thanks for answer.

Shiju Chacko

• No, that's not what I said. What I'm saying is that you should not be using RAID 5 with disks that large at all. Whether you put them all in the same VD or separate VD's, you should convert to RAiD 6 and not use RAID 5 at all.

• HI,

Is converting RAID 5 to RAID6 have data loss.

Current HDD Size : 3TB (6 Nos) hdd in Raid 5 and 250GB (2 Nos) HDD in RAID 1.

New HDD Size : 6TB (4 Nos)

• shiju67
    Is converting RAID 5 to RAID6 have data loss.

No, migrating from RAID 5 to RAID 6 will not cause data loss.

shiju67

Current HDD Size : 3TB (6 Nos) hdd in Raid 5 and 250GB (2 Nos) HDD in RAID 1.

New HDD Size : 6TB (4 Nos)

Then you better create a second/separate Virtual Disk with your new disks. If you use them in your current RAID 5 array, only 3TB of the 6TB will be usable from each disk. Put them in a separate 12TB RAID 6.