Equallogic PS5000 - one array stuck updating firmware - General - Forum - Storage - Dell Community

Equallogic PS5000 - one array stuck updating firmware

Storage

Storage
Gain insight and information on Dell EMC Storage products from engineers, peers and experts in the industry.

Equallogic PS5000 - one array stuck updating firmware

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I have an Equallogic PS5000? that is trying to update the firmware on the second controller. (first controller was fine).  I followed the directions on a previous post here to run the update command from the active updated controller, and now i'm watching a screen stuck with "ipcshd not running" after it copied the eqlstor.gz file.  Do I let it go? or is there anything else I can do?  This array is part of a 4 unit group, and the other units finished fine for the upgrade.

Also, it was sitting on a message saying that the control modules are initializing, however I left it like that over the weekend and came back to the same reply.

Any help would greatly be appreciated as this line is out of support.

Thanks!

All Replies
  • Hello, 

The "Control Modules are initializng" is on the passive controller correct?   If so, that's a normal message since the passive doesn't have access to the drives until it becomes active. 

The command should only take a few minutes to copy the files over.  For some reason it's not communicating over the internal bus. 

On the active CM, I would suggest you log into the CLI and type: 

mem sel PS6210E show controllers
    ___________________________ Controller Information ____________________________
    SlotID: 0 Status: active
    Model: 70-0425(TYPE 15) BatteryStatus: ok
    ProcessorTemperature: 51 ChipsetTemperature: 35
    LastBootTime: 2016-12-06:12:18:53 SerialNumber:
    Manufactured: 037I CN-0D85Y9-13740-37I-002D
    ECOLevel: C00 CM Rev.: X28
    FW Rev.: Storage Array Firmware V8.1.7 BootRomVersion: 4.4.0
    (R428241) BootRomBuilDate: Fri Mar 22 10:04:47
    EDT 2013
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    SlotID: 1 Status: secondary
    Model: 70-0425(TYPE 15) BatteryStatus: ok
    ProcessorTemperature: 0 ChipsetTemperature: 0
    LastBootTime: 2017-02-03:16:48:13 SerialNumber:
    Manufactured: 037I CN-0D85Y9-13740-37I-001E
    ECOLevel: C00 CM Rev.: X28
    FW Rev.: Storage Array Firmware V8.1.7 BootRomVersion: 4.4.0
    (R428241) BootRomBuilDate: Fri Mar 22 10:04:47
    EDT 2013

Make sure the active CM is at the higher version.    Then I would carefully remove the passive CM, wait about a minute then when you re-insert it, make sure the serial port is connected.  do the command again and if it's still mismatched (which I expect) then try the update command again..   You could have a bad flash card is a possibility.   If that's the case and you have a CF writer you can copy from another passive controller that's already updated and remove the problem controller and replace the CF Card and try again. 

Regards,

Don 

Social Media and Community Professional
    #IWork4Dell
    Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

• Hi,

Thank you for this - so the primary is the one with the older firmware.. how do i force it to make the cm with the higher firmware the active one?  That's where I'm stuck.. I can't issue the mem sel commands on the currently active controller because it keeps fighting me saying its not setup.

• Hello, 

You can't and you should NOT attempt to do so.  The cache knows what FW version is running.  If you forced the higher version to be active the array will not boot up at ALL.   The boot up process will detect the mismatch and stop the boot up process. 

If you connect to the passive CM via the serial port and do a "restart" then try the "update" again on the primary CM.  If that still fails you will need to shutdown that member.  Clone the CF card from the primary/lower FW version to the passive.  Then power it back up.  Verify that both CMs are running the same FW version and try to do the firmware update process again.  Transfer the FW kit again, and run update, etc..  

Regards, 

Don 

#IWork4Dell

• Don,

I did a copy of the active primary/lower to the passive and received this error when I booted up...

The nvram version currently running on the array does not match

the version saved in nvram.

Current version: 16

Saved version:   12

This situation can occur if the array experienced an abnormal shutdown

during a firmware update.  Contact your customer support provider for

instructions on how to proceed.

The array has been halted.

You can safely power off the array or type any key to restart the array.

Now what do I do?

• Nevermind, I came back to the console, it had rebooted and forced the other card to be primary, and everything came back.. all is good now! Thank you! Even both controllers are showing the correct firmware versions at the most up to date.

How far up can I go on these arrays for software versions? Is 7.1.2 the highest?

• Hello, 

As I recall, the PS5000 supports up to 7.1.14.  The latest version of the 7.1.x firmware.  Support for that controller was removed from 8.x+ firmware. 

Don 

#IWork4Dell