Equallogic PS Series - Initialization Failure?

Storage

Storage
Gain insight and information on Dell Storage products from engineers, peers and experts in the industry.

Equallogic PS Series - Initialization Failure?

• We acquired a PS Series iSCSI SAN. I downloaded the HIT Kit for Windows and ran the discovery program. It found the SAN and I selected to join it to an existing group. I received an error message regarding firmware differences (the existing group is still 4.1.5 and yes I know that is very old) then was told to run the “reset” command from the CLI to clear all changes made. I connected to the serial port and used PuTTy to access the terminal. All I see in the terminal window is gibberish (symbols, lines, etc) and now the network connections on the SAN are down (LED's are off when one was on during the initialization.) I tried running the discovery tool again, however that no longer finds the array. I tried powering the array off and on, repeating previous steps without any luck. At this point the array seems like it is stuck in "limbo." Anyone ever experience this before?
    I have a feeling I am the only person that somehow managed to mess up an Equallogic install...
  • Figured it out: i was using the wrong serial cable. Rollover Cables and the Serial cable for the Equallogic SAN are NOT the same thing, different pinouts. After using the CORRECT cable, I was able to access the CLI.
    All in all, I am glad that my own derpness was the cause.