Equallogic Datastore Manager - Manage Existing Volumes?

Storage

Storage
Gain insight and information on Dell Storage products from engineers, peers and experts in the industry.

Equallogic Datastore Manager - Manage Existing Volumes?

This question is answered

Hello-

I would like to know if I can use the Datastore Manager to attach existing volumes to the hosts being manipulated by the Datastore Manager?

Seems like I will have to manually attach each volume to each host, at this point.

Thanks,

Dan

Verified Answer
  • No, you still need to manage iSCSI connections using VMware and/or within the VM guest OS if using storage direct.

The EqualLogic Datastore Manager allows you to

• Create datastores

• Create Smart Copy

• Create Smart Copy replica

• Create schedule

• Create clone

• Resize datastore volume

• Delete a datastore

• Create or modify ACL policies

• Clone ACL policies from existing volume

-joe

Follow me on Twitter: @joesatdell

All Replies
  • No, you still need to manage iSCSI connections using VMware and/or within the VM guest OS if using storage direct.

The EqualLogic Datastore Manager allows you to

• Create datastores

• Create Smart Copy

• Create Smart Copy replica

• Create schedule

• Create clone

• Resize datastore volume

• Delete a datastore

• Create or modify ACL policies

• Clone ACL policies from existing volume

-joe

• And confirm for me that they have to be in a cluster for EDM to create the ISCSI connections on the hosts?  We're not clustering today - and currently don't have a need (no HA).  We'd like to use EDM, but from what I'm seeing, we'll have to cluster.  Vmware says that if we aren't using those HA features, then the cluster will not really have an impact.  I'm seeing a slight issue - it appears that we can't select which host to start VMs on.

• There are no requirements to have clusters to use the EqualLogic Datastore manager, however you do need the proper VWware Enterprise (or Plus) License to use any of the vStorage API’s for Storage.

ESX(i) v4.1 License comparison:

kb.vmware.com/.../search.do

ESXi v5.0 License comparison

www.vmware.com/.../editions_comparison.html

-joe