MD3000i error codes

Storage

Storage
Gain insight and information on Dell Storage products from engineers, peers and experts in the industry.

MD3000i error codes

• Hello, I am seeking the description of error codes of Event Log of the MD3000i Modular Storage Manager, but I have not found them in any manuals and docs.

E.g.: I received the following event log messages, but and I don't know what them mean exactly:
    Date/Time: 4/3/08 4:00:53 PM
    Sequence number: 459
    Event type: 1707
    Description: Degraded wide port becomes failed
    Event specific codes: 0/0/0
    Event category: Error
    Component type: Enclosure Component (EMM, GBIC/SFP, Power Supply, or Fan)
    Component location: Enclosure 0, Slot 0
    Logged by: RAID Controller Module in slot 1

Date/Time: 4/3/08 4:00:53 PM
    Sequence number: 456
    Event type: 1706
    Description: Optimal wide port becomes degraded
    Event specific codes: 0/0/0
    Event category: Error
    Component type: Enclosure Component (EMM, GBIC/SFP, Power Supply, or Fan)
    Component location: Enclosure 0, Slot 1
    Logged by: RAID Controller Module in slot 1

Thank you for any help.

Regard, Tibor
  • Not sure if we publish every event type in a single document. I'll have to research that one.

Did you reboot the enclosure at the time of these errors ? I mean, just before these errors ? Usually these two errors back to back indicate the enclosure was rebooted. Port goes degraded first, then from degraded mode to failed.

Which firmware levels are the controllers ?

FYI, sequence numbers don't mean anything, they just increase by +1 for every logged event.
  • The "wide port" entries in the Event Log are logged during normal startup/restart scenarios. The MD3000i RAID enclosure is seeing that the connection to an expansion enclosure is transitioning.

The design of the MD3000i is that is uses the Event Log more like an audit log, it is not a strict health/status log. If a storage array needs attention for any reason the Summary page will show this and a corresponding Recovery Guru with a detailed procedure will be available.

Dave
  • "Not sure if we publish every event type in a single document. I'll have to research that one.

Did you reboot the enclosure at the time of these errors ? I mean, just before these errors ? Usually these two errors back to back indicate the enclosure was rebooted. Port goes degraded first, then from degraded mode to failed.

Which firmware levels are the controllers ?

FYI, sequence numbers don't mean anything, they just increase by +1 for every logged event."
    Thank your prompt answer. This events came really at rebooting. I see now these are normal restart events. I am newbie for MD3000i, as it is our first MD3000i, and I don't understand why I got these messages. By the way the controller firmware version is the newest (60.70.10.60). Regards, Tibor
  • Unfortunately my MD3000i started to register these yesterday. It did it once in the morning and once in the evening. This forced the paths to fail over as if a failure had occurred. After a couple of minutes everything reasserted itself back into a normal start. There was no startup event.

In this context, what does all this mean?
  • If these were not logged as part of a reboot, it means what it says. Check for faulty connections, cables, loose cables. Did someone reboot a switch on the other side ? Is this the only error in the error log ?

Perform all the standard troubleshooting procedures, then contact support if the issue is still present.